classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Phew what a relief!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Phew what a relief!!! Reply with quote

Hi to you all

I have just found this forum, and what a relief it is. Just think our own UK forum (not a Club in the official sense of the word) where anybody can just drop in and have a chat, ask advice, buy and sell or whatever/where ever (as long as it's legal) they can think of with regard to Classic Vans. I have been a member and guest of a very similar forum in Australia, which started off quite small and has grown to quite a considerable size. It has been an invaluable place for myself and all like-minded people who, let's face it, want to discuss classic and vintage vans with others who share the same interests.

So to all who are just browsing, join in and add your photos, comments etc. We need this in the UK.

I can only give my best wishes to the administrators of this forum and wish you a long, entertaining and happy life with this site.

Thank you
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cornish lass

Great to have you on board, make sure you mention this forum to all the old-van owners that you know!! more the merrier Very Happy Very Happy

cheers
Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornish lass, I'm not really a fan of caravans, but I saw pictures of yours on the other post, and all I can say is WOW!!!!!! an you tell us all more about it, and is the interior restored original, or your own design? Sorry if the last bit is a stupid question!
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uncle Joe

Sorry to say that the van isn't mine Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad , but belongs to somebody I know.

It was fully restored when he bought it so unsure how much of the interior is original and how much has been restored. Wish I could be of more help.

Know what you mean about not being a fan of caravans.... you should try to live down here in the summer and still like them Mad

Mine is a very sad, but true tale, and common to I expect many unsuspecting and innocent individuals. In the summer of this year I was looking to buy something, ANYTHING to house some folks from South Africa who were coming to stay. I had decided that as much as I like them, it might be better if they had their own accommodation. I decided that a van of some description at the back of the house would be good. The great van hunt then ensued.

I looked at a few and just couldn't bring myself to part with heaps of money to end up with a great fibreglass monstrosity in my garden. Meanwhile, I had heard about some vans in Wales, including one little very old one. Thought I may as well go and have a look and then IT happened Surprised Surprised .

I FELL IN LOVE

There sitting under a tree looking very sad and dishevelled was a 1932 van with windows out, several colours of paint, full of goodness knows what and with a VERY loud voice shouting "come on, buy me, buy me". Well what could I do...... you guessed right - it was shipped down a couple of weeks later Very Happy As with all 'sad old gits' the van has a name, 'Ratty', as it reminded me of the van from Wind in the Willows with leaded windows etc..... well you have to have some imagination if you are into classic vans, cars, caravans and the like Wink

Renovations are in progress, but I have had to take a few months break due to other reasons.

So be very careful Uncle Joe, once the bug gets to you, who knows where it will lead......... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cornish Lass
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tale Cornish, keep up the good work!

I know of (or at least knew of...) an old van in North Wales, I must check to see if its still there. It also had leaded windows in it and a curvy roof. It belonged to an old chap. He was threatening to set light to it, so I asked if I could have it. He said he'd check with his daughters, in case either of them wanted it, but thats the last I heard. Chances are he is no longer with us, and the van was scrapped. Next time I'm over thattaway I'll divert off the main road and check it out

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I did decide to buy a 'van, then there would only be a few choices. The first two, in spite of the fact that I have a HGV licence, I cant legally tow behind my classic due to the weight/size restrictions that we have.

The other, I would only be use the same way that you do, ie for guests.
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well there's a blow, never mind, you could always get a new car to go with the van Wink And with your impeccable driving skills as you already have an HGV, you'd be perfect at towing Very Happy

As to what to do with the van once you own it, I have checked your profile to see where you are located, to no avail, but there must be somewhere you could take it to locally, just for the experience.

Personally I am a fan of real wood vans and am not in to fibreglass at all, so they tend to be lighter to tow than their counterparts. If you are into woodwork there are quite a few plans/pictures available on the net of teardrop vans which are small and lightweight. They can look reeeeel cooool behind an old classic car Cool Cool Cool Cool . Imagine your classic (whatever that is) towing behind it a little van painted in the same colours, get the picture Smile Also do you go to any classic car runs? What do you do when the weather is bad, ie cold and damp...... freeze your little socks off, or go and snuggle in your classic van. Know which one I would prefer.

By the way, mine (when she is finished) won't be just for guests..... and they will have to be very special guests. There is too much hard work going into the renovations for her to be kept in the garden. Will definately be towed around Cornwall at least, (if I don't end up conquering the world Laughing )

Have fun pondering the issue Shocked
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

Could you give me some idea about the restrictions in Sweden? Do they apply to overseas visitors?

I am going to the International Classic Caravan Meeting in Northern Holland in May 2007 and as my classic car club will be in Holland the following weekend I was looking for a destination for the week in between and had a wild idea that a trip to the Volvo factory might be interesting.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M: Technically, the regulations here do apply to you, but the police never enforce them on visitors, unless you upset them.

The max weight behind your Amazon is quite high, I'd have to check how much, but my guess would be 1600kg's+. So even without knowing the weight of your 'van, you will probably be OK. Visits to the Volvo factory can be booked, so its not such a wild idea after all! You'll drive right by my place... so that may be the biggest disadvantage! Laughing I can give you a few suggestions as to places of interest on the route. I do that journey anything up to 4 times a year.

Cornish Lass: I have two classics, you can see photos of them under the 'your restorations' part of this forum. I also have an introduction as well. If I was going to pull a 'van about, then it would be behind the Lincoln. The trouble is, I would want a vintage Airstream behind it! Cool The problem is, even with my HGV, I'm not allowed to drag more than 500kg's Exclamation Also, there is a width restriction of 2.6m...and the old Airstreams are wider. I'm also into wood and natural materials. I just do not like plastics, etc. If you ask nicely, I might tell you a deep, dark secret regarding wood, but it would only be in a PM!!!!!
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Old Classis Caravan in North Wales?? Reply with quote

Morning Rick

I notice from a posting yesterday that you have come back from a trip to North Wales, and in an older posting you said:

admin wrote:
I know of (or at least knew of...) an old van in North Wales, I must check to see if its still there. It also had leaded windows in it and a curvy roof. It belonged to an old chap. He was threatening to set light to it, so I asked if I could have it. He said he'd check with his daughters, in case either of them wanted it, but thats the last I heard. Chances are he is no longer with us, and the van was scrapped. Next time I'm over thattaway I'll divert off the main road and check it out

Rick

Was just curious if you managed to check it out or were too busy. Sad Sad Always interested to know how many of these old vans are still about

Happy New Year to you and yours

Cornish Lass
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cornish

Nope sadly didn't get that far over, but it gives me a good excuse to have another wee gander over the border, and see if its still there. I have a print photograph of it somewhere, if I find it I'll add it to the forum

Happy New Year y'all

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: