classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Minor - I take it all back
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Morris Minor - I take it all back Reply with quote

I've always been a bit non-committal about the Moggy Minor, probably because they are still fairly numerous. However the other day I had my first proper drive in a low mileage, c1956 split screen Moggy, and I was amazed at just how well it drove. Compared to my Devon, which isn't toooo much older, it felt light years ahead. It didn't roll, the (rack n pinion) steering was lovely, and even its old 803cc engine rolled along seemingly much better than the 1200cc pre-B series engine of the Devon. Have to say I really liked it, and I didn't think it'd grab me particularly. I still prefer the rarity and look of the older Devon, but have to say I'd seriously consider a Minor for a regular user now, whereas before I probably wouldnt have!

What cars have you largely ignored, then been won over by once tried for the first time????

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar lack of feelings toward the Minor until a couple of months ago when I drove one for the first time.

My experience when driving it was nothing short of a revelation! I would now be happy to own a Morris Minor, I never realised they were so 'user friendly!'.

I just noticed this one while sifting through ebay!

http://www.justinbanks.com/8-Main.html
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Morris Minor is strong and simple to maintain, it shares mechanicals with a number of BMC/BL cars and spare parts are still cheap and in plentiful supply. There are a number of bolt-on improvements to make the car even better as an everyday car and with modern seats and heater, disc brakes and a servo you got it made.
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi moggiedriver

Yup couldn't agree more. If I could find an original pickup, I'd be tempted!! if you have any photos of your car it'd be nice to seem them in the Introductions thread if you get a minute!!

cheers
Rick
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Morris Minor - I take it all back Reply with quote

admin wrote:

What cars have you largely ignored, then been won over by once tried for the first time????
Rick

Chevrolet Corvair Very Happy
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ther Morris Minor van and pickup had a separate chassis and the cab and body were separate parts, so you could get either type to begin with and change the body over when a suitable pickup tub turned up.

At the moment my moggie is not in a fit state to view as I am replacing the floor and sills as part of a full restoration but when it starts to go back together I would be glad to, I still have not posted my teardrop trailer in the caravans post yet.

regards
moggiedriver
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right about the ability to add one or two modifications to update the Moggy to be a perfectly usable classic in todays traffic.

This was the same appeal that drew me to buy my 2cv - 1948 styling and technology combined with great comfort and practicality, 50mpg, 80mph, and fixable with a bent fork!

It's good to actually use an old car as they were intended to be used on a daily basis without having to worry too much about wear and tear.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: morrie minor Reply with quote

Guys i have owned a morrie ute to put into perspective the metal on the morries is as heavy as any modern car they rot out quite easily especially around the front suspension that was why i gave mine away i currently have a split window model car i am returning to a friend of mine for the same reasons compared with the devon which had better steel in the chassis and body.I do agree that the morries are easy to work on and easier to get parts for another problem with the morrie suspension is there tendency to bounce or slide on corners.Although the radial tyres would help this issue.Maybe the performance between the morrie and the devon is due to the weight moter ratio personally i am a fan of the Devon for the above reasons.The later models did come out with the bigger engines for those needing the extra take off but the earlier grill types look better in my opinion. rustyreks
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Admin... go for it! Laughing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPERB-AUSTIN-MINOR-PICK-UP-MORRIS-MINOR-SHOW-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ250065156810QQihZ015QQcategoryZ29753QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe wow that looks like a nice one (good to see it has the correct bonnet on it and not one from a saloon!!!). Not sure Mrs Admin would sanction a big spend right now sadly Crying or Very sad

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Moggy's myself, but the trouble with them is the fact that they can be unreliable at times, although probably they no worse than other cars of the same period.

One car that I never expected to like, but did win me over, was a Mini Automatic. I wonder how many others have even driven on of those, let alone like them?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like mini autos, but that may come to no surprise as you know I like all minis!

Cheers

Dave
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
I like Moggy's myself, but the trouble with them is the fact that they can be unreliable at times, although probably they no worse than other cars of the same period.

This will not endear me to many moggie owners, but because they are so cheap to buy and maintain they tend to be seen as a "make do and mend" classic and are often owned by those who would prefer to buy a shiny new respray rather than a new petrol pump. The newest moggie is 34 years old and that means that the chassis, suspension, brakes and wiring loom are of corresponding vintage, a motor car should be regularly used and maintained if it is to remain reliable. many classic owners use their cars as mere toys and wait until something goes wrong before any repairs are made to their car.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moggydriver, I agree totally with your comments as regards them being seen as a make do and mend classic.

Even 'back in the day' most reliability problems were caused by poor maintenance, but there was one that was simply a design fault - the half shaft! These used to break with regular monotony, especially on Travellers, Pick ups and Vans, as these did have a tendency to be used harder... Rolling Eyes

Still, I do like them though, and I'll bet that those of us that are older still remember the one that 'Nurse Gladys Emanuell' had. Laughing
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMC should have realised that the LCV would be worked harder than the saloon and should in turn have fitted a strengthened pair of half shafts.

Modifiers used to fit after market competition half shafts or use Marina axles to cope with extra power.

There is a new design strengthened half shaft set available for the Minor which should solve any problems for those who tow trailers etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: