classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A bit of a quiz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Carl La Fong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: A bit of a quiz Reply with quote

OK, let's have a little quiz, seeing as it's Christmas. I'll ask a question, and whoever gets it right asks the next quuestion, and so on...

Starter for ten: What small part did the Triumph Courier van play in the development of the Lotus Elan +2?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you are expecting people to answer that it was the front suspension, are you not?

UJ
Carl La Fong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
I suspect that you are expecting people to answer that it was the front suspension, are you not?

UJ

That wasn't what I had in mind, although you're right, but being in charge of this question I'm not allowing it as an answer! All Lotus models of that period had similarities in the suspension, but I'm particularly interested in the Elan +2 here!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember the +2 as being a bit of a parts bin special, as it had parts from all kinds of things - Ford (Anglias, Capris), Wolseley (Hornets?) even Alfa Romeo - but all I remember from Triumph (Herald, Vitesse) was the suspension, Steering rack and Discs. And none of those were specific to the Courier.

So I'm looking forward to the answer!
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been bugging me all over the holidays.

I can only think of two things that might be specific to the Courier and not to all the Herald range:

1. The rear tailgate, hinges, window and handles etc (but these were also used in the Herald Estate)

2. The individual chrome letters in word Courier and not in Herald.

I can't see that any of the bits from the back were used on the Elan +2 and even with the word Triumph, there is still no "S" for the Lotus!

Perhaps Lotus Cars had one as a works van and so bits of the +2 were moved in it!

Come on Carl, put us out of our misery and then you can ask the next question.
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Carl - please tell us the answer. Two months is long enough.

There was a Courier Van at Alexandra Palace at the weekend and I got all the Triumph Club officials trying to think of the answer.

Their expert reckoned the rear spring was unique to the Courier, but we doubted it was used on an Elan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: