classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Strange Swedish Motorhome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Strange Swedish Motorhome Reply with quote

Spotted this incredible classic motorhome on another forum

UJ - How good is your Swedish to get any of the text translated?

http://www.klassiker.nu/zino.aspx?articleID=10905
(you may need to click on the pictures to display them.)

I can see the words Volvo Amazon, but think it just refers to the two front grilles!
James_N

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha thats fantastic Very Happy
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous! Cool

Is that a SAAB grill in the middle? Thank heavens it's got them and headlamps, as you wouldn't know if it was coming or going otherwise.

Scotty.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My swedish is, believe it or not, more or less perfect!

I dont really want to translate everything, but the article starts of with directions to the place where the camper is 'first right after the arctic circle, then after the second lampost, follow the river for about 50 metres downstream.'

Theres a bit of waffle, then a bit of a description about the interior '2 burner gas cooker, double bed, space in the glove box for boat motor.'

It was the second of two prototypes, the first was on SAAB 92 bits, this on SAAB 95.

Incidentally Brian, theres a big Volvo meet planned here in August (I think)...any interest for your trip?
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I like that!!!!

Rick

PS anyone interested in an early 70s Commer motor caravan? have heard of one thats available thats all
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

I didn't expect a full translation but can you tell us if this one is for sale and if so how much - or is this just a road test of it?

Does it still have a three cylinder two stroke engine?

I read 85km/h - is that its top speed?

Was it a professional build or an enthusiastic amateur?

My trip to Holland is mid-May so the August Volvo meet is probably a non-starter for me - thanks anyway.
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that one I like Very Happy Very Happy

Rick, can you tell more about the Commer van pleae. If you want, send a PM with details. Cheers

Cornish Lass
alfanut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that the original 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine was replaced by a V4?
'Den trecylindriga tvåtaktsmotorn byttes ut mot en V4 på 1970-talet och Björn Lindell minns när han 1976'
I can't even decipher IKEA assembly instructions when they are translated into English Sad but I've had a few Saabs over the years including a two 96V4s and that sort of makes sense. In the specification there is a mention of something that sounds a bit rude with a a figure of 100-110 kph which is a little over 60 mph. I wonder if that is the top speed; either way the mind boggles Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To attempt to answer all of your questions. The link is a magazine article, and it isn't for sale.

It was built by a man called Torsten Johannesson, who owned a company called 'Biltjänst' that still exists today. Only the two prototypes were ever built, but is was planned to build around 20 per year, if the was enough interest.

The cruising speed is 85kmh, and max. speed 100-110kmh. It originally had a two stroke SAAB, but got a V4 in 1976.

UJ
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

Thanks for the information.

Is the big Volvo meet you mention the Vallakra Custom Show in August?

There is talk on the Volvo Owners Club Forum of a big convoy from the UK to this event, so I might look at something else for my trip in May, and join in this big one.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianM: Yes, it is the Vallåkra meet that I was referring to. Would you like me to see if I can find a link that you can look at?

UJ
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ If you can find a link I would be grateful - the organisers of the Volvo Club trip say that they are not yet aware of the date of this event in 2007.

Obviously the planning of the whole trip is on hold until this date is confirmed.

Regards
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, the link is www.vallakratraffen.com As you will see, it is to be held on the 18-19th August 2007.

Keep me informed of things.

UJ
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

Thanks for that, I have posted it on the VOC Forum and will watch to see if I can fit their trip with work commitments.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, if you haven't already done so, check your PM's

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: