classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Headlamp "Gunsight Bulbs"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Headlamp "Gunsight Bulbs"? Reply with quote

I was going through some of my catalogue notes I mentioned in the other thread about my volunteering at the transport museum and came across this entry that perhaps you guys might be able to shed some light on - honest, no pun intended! Rolling Eyes

"Gunsight Bulb" for headlamps - these bulbs don't have what I could call a gunsight pattern on them as you would think from my description, the reason I call them that is because that's what's printed on the metal base.
The glass is dull, with a "chrome" painted area that does not go the full circumference of the bulb, it's more like an offset shroud to direct the light. I have estimated they are c1930 vintage, but I could be well out.

I don't have a picture to hand, and it'll be a few days before I can get one photographed, but I thought it might be worth asking about - has anybody here had experience of these types of bulb, and if so why that particular name?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, the bulb that you describe sounds like one that used to be used in WWII aircraft. They were indeed used to direct light, or more correctly, used to stop light being seen by 'the enemy' on night ops. Its a long time since I have seen one, but if my memory serves me correctly (and it probably doesn't!) then the mounting should be a flange with 3 'keyholes.'

Is this correct, or am I barking up the wrong tree as usual? Question
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ,

What you say sounds quite reasonable, but I can't remember what the connector at the bottom looked like.

I'm back in the museum at the end of the week and will try and get a bulb to photograph - a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Wink

Thanks for the reply.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, if you have a trawl for Mazda 844 28V-21/21CP or Mazda 844 28V-0.68A/0.68A you should be able to find photos of the bulbs.

The sockets are a standard kind that are used today...not the one I suggested Embarassed

UJ
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UJ. Wink
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographs of same -

Thanks guys. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: