classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Best engine ever
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Best engine ever Reply with quote

Just musing to myself, wondering what the best car engine of all time is/was?

perhaps the BMC A Series, a versatile unit that lasted for decades and featured in a multitude of cars, in varied layouts and different capacities?

or one of the American V8s? (someone who knows about US iron can no doubt suggest a candidate!! Smile)

another old stalwart is the Jaguar XK engine, which saw service in things as varied as the C Type sports car, some tanks, and Daimler DS420 limos before it finally bowed out

Other possibles could include the twin cam Alfa, the engine in the NSU Ro80, air cooled VW, or maybe something that only appeared in competition, such as the Ford DFV???

thoughts anyone?

Rick
Question Question
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be an endless debate but the most popular engine over here is the GM Chevy SBC (small block Chevy) V8 Cool

265 to 400 c.i.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Need you ask, A series of course!

hehe

Cheers

Dave
alfanut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for a debate Smile , the finest engine ever made was the Colombo-designed Ferrari V12. Over more than a quarter of a century it powered such iconic cars as the 166 Barchetta, 250 GTO, 275LM and the 365 GTB Daytona. The numbers also give you a clue as to the basic design was developed, they refer to the cc of one cylinder. I can't think of another engine that started of as 1500cc and ended up with 4800cc Surprised If you've ever heard one on full song, then that is the icing on the cake. Smile
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to include the air cooled boxer engines of the VW Beetle and Citroen 2cv.

Simple, reliable, low maintenance and superb longevity gave these engines the edge over their competitors. They are able to function in anything from severe sub zero temperatures to burning desert heat without any special preparation and if you combine the production runs of both vehicles it comes to more than 100 years!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a topic to create a lot of discussion. I cant possibly name just one, so here are my classed/ranked candidates:

American big block: 1: Ford 385 series. 2: Mopar RB. 3: Ford FE.

American Small block: 1: Ford 289/351. 2: Chrsler 318.

American Straight 6: 1: Mopar 225 (slant six)

British 'C' class (six cylinder): 1: BMC 'C' series 2: Ford 2553cc.

British 'B' class: 1: Rootes 1592 iron head. 2: Rootes 1725 3: BMC 'B' series.

British 'A' class: 1: Ford 1172 side valve 2: Austin 1535 side valve 3: BMC 'A' series

Just dont ask me my choice in Diesels!
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ, Ford 1172 over the BMC A series?? Shocked

I suppose it had longevity, but so did the A series, and the latter was a fair bit more uptodate than the 1172 Ford during most of its life (are we talking the original 1172 engine - E93A with its non-adjustable valve gaps - or the slightly improved 100E?)

Rick
Smile
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking of the 100E unit. My main reason for putting it above the A series was simply because I have always found them to be more reliable. I've never blown up a Ford unit, but I have several A series.

I suppose that I just prefer simpler engines, which is one reason I didn't include a dohc Jag in the C-class.
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe whereas I've never really had any gripes with the A series, but I seem to have spent half my life trying to get *&^&^** 1172 sidevalve Fords to run something like!!! although I seem to keep buying sidevalves, I really don't like the engines too much

Rolling Eyes

Rick

PS sweetest sounding small engine I ever had was probably in a dog-eared Standard 8 that I had a while back, ran like a Swiss watch
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little grist to the mill - although not produced in the massive numbers of some of the units mentioned above, I think a wee mention of the Coventry Climax engine that powered so many varied products.

The engine can trace back its roots to the Sunbeam S7 motorcycle engines (or was it S8's), whereupon it was used in racing cars, production cars (Hillman Imp, etc) and a personal favourite the fire brigade Featherweight Pump (and I would still like to meet the man who called it "featherweight! Confused )

In their original form they were little screamers, having to be de-tuned for the British public in the Hillman Imps.

Other than that it's got to be the BL "A" Series - having learned my trade on Mini's of every shape and size, tuning them to buggery, boring them out to 1493cc (the cylinder walls must have been paper thin) and bolting on a Twin Webber they have a soft spot in my heart.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, dont you mean 1293? That was a 60 thou overbore if I remember right. Together with a 1275 GT crank, offset ground to suit Cooper S bearings, my memory says 1440.

One problem for tuning the A series was the siamese port... but another thing that I didnt like was a point for the 30 000 mile service (reading an original Moggy 1000 book now) 'Change crank bearings' Exclamation

One point about sidevalves: The better the petrol, the worse they run.... Laughing
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ,

That the 1493cc figure has been with me a long time, but I do accept that in the mists of time figures get muddled. So I called my friend who I built this Mini with and he fell about laughing at my 1493 cc answer! Embarassed

It was bored out to 1310cc, after the first version was trashed with 1293cc bores - and you're absolutely correct about the other specs, although George reckoned 1430 for the 1275 GT / Cooper S bearings, but he wouldn't want to fall out with you over 10cc's. Very Happy

I've probably got the two capacities mixed up and ended up with 1493cc's, which George said something very close to that cc (I can't remember what he said my mind's so full of figures now) was built in another friends car, but it was a b**ls out racer with a special crank and Cosworth pistons.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living quite close to Crewe I'd like to think that one of Royce's efforts would be up there! Unfortunately I can't say I have had any experience of driving or owning the cars!
Dave
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we were talking about any type of engine, then I'd have definitely voted for the R-R Merlin!

alfanut - yeah I've heard 250GTOs going at full tilt, tis a fine sound for sure, along with the straight 8 Alfa engine (s/c) of the 30s Smile

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to start discussing the sound of engines, then obviously the Merlin has to be up there. Staying on land vehicles though, if its cars then it has to be a V8, preferably american. But there are better on motorcycles. The mid 50's Guzzi V8, Hondas 250/297 six cylinder, Suzukis 50cc twin, and my favorite 'Slippery Sam.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: