classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Best engine ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemi's have an awesome reputation, and even being a "Heartbeat of America"* man myself, I have to bow to their status in the world of muscle. Cool

(For those folks that aren't up in American jargon * = Chevy V8 350 cu. in. smallblock.)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that in 1969, a more-or-less standard 426 Hemi was timed at 243MPH? That is awesome.

But what is more awesome, is that in 61-63, a Max Wedge (budget motor, by Mopar standars) could cover a standing start quarter mile in about 12 seconds... but the 440 six pack was still considered the ultimate street motor...and one of these two is soon going to be found in my 300! Laughing

But which one? I still haven't decided! Any suggestions anyone?
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
but the 440 six pack was still considered the ultimate street motor...and one of these two is soon going to be found in my 300! Laughing

Better Polygrip your false teeth in then! Shocked Cool
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polygrip? I'll have to weld 'em in place! Laughing
Charles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best engine ever, if I am honest engines get better and better every year. The current Peugeot diesel engines are brilliant; BMW’s various 6 cylinder jobs have been great for the last decade. Subaru’s 2.0L unit is bullet proof. I suspect my answers are not in the spirit in which the question was posed!

Best Classic Engine Ever

I can only really speak of engines in cars that graced UK roads ….so it has to be the BMC A Series;
In mass production cars for 50 years, very reliable, cheap to maintain / rebuild. Capable of delivering fantastic fuel consumption due to excellent torque characteristics and thermal efficiency, the tuning people saw its potential straight away and made some great mods, must have had more tuning books and articles written about it than any other engine, the Japs were so impressed with it that Nissan produced it under licence. BL designed an overhead cam replacement in the early 70’s it just wasn’t any better so never made it into production.
I would agree it doesn’t do any one thing significantly better than other engines; it’s the overall package that gives it my vote.

Charles
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with another vote for the A series!

The problem with modern engines, as I see 'em, is that they are fairly reliable in themselves (although head gasket failures still seem fairly common), but its all the sensors that the engines rely on to work correctly that are the weak points, thus making them fairly DIY-unfriendly.

6 pot BM engines are fine indeed, but again seem prone to head gaskets from what I can tell when they get a few years old (between dad, my brother, and I, we've had a lot of 6 pot BMs -plus V8s and V12s - of varying capacities).

Then there was all the Nikasil hoohaa with relation to sulphur in some fuels (I believe) with various different engines, K series cars (eg the MGF) eating head gaskets, and so on.

Modern engines are good, but I do think they are overly complex electronically, thus rendering them unreliable when they get to say 8-10 years old.........

Rick
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

Modern engines are good, but I do think they are overly complex electronically, thus rendering them unreliable when they get to say 8-10 years old.........
Rick

Ain't that the truth!

One of the most reliable U.S. built engines..........
1939-1959 Studebaker Flathead 6

You knew I had to get a Studie in here sometime! Laughing

Charles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

The problem with modern engines, as I see 'em, is that they are fairly reliable in themselves (although head gasket failures still seem fairly common), but its all the sensors that the engines rely on to work correctly that are the weak points, thus making them fairly DIY-unfriendly.

Rick

Ahh Rick now that’s where I would have to disagree! I had younger far less experienced (read cheaper !!) mechanics working for me 2 years ago than I did 25 years ago, fixing cars quicker!.

The sensors all do a single simple task and are pretty self explanatory eg ;

Cam position sensor
Crank position Sensor
Air intake flow rate
Air intake temperature
Throttle position sensor
Oxygen sensor (exhaust)
Manifold pressure sensor

There are more and of course an ECU which controls the lot, I read a trade article the other day which stated the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) for ECU’s is now 36 years !

If sensors fail, the cars ECU will give you an error code, you can buy an error code reader from Halfords for about £25. Haynes do a good engine management diy repair / info book.
When sensors fail the symptoms are very predictable and there are many sources on the web for this info. We did find when engine management systems first went in to mass production there were silly simple dodgy electrical connection problems, giving the impressions that the electronics was at fault, but these are much improved these days.

I would say we could diagnose and replace most engine management component faults for an hours labour and the cost of the parts, typical sensor £60, of course because engine management systems are viewed by many as a bit of a black art, many garages would charge significantly more!

As for head gasket failures these have always been more evident in cars with alloy heads and I have to say generally happens when cars ceased to be maintained correctly, (sorry !!) namely the antifreeze has been in for years the cooling systems not cleaned out, the engine runs a bit hotter you know the rest. Flushing an engine cooling system out every 2 years will save you so much long term grief, so simple yet often overlooked by some DIY's.

Charles
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where you're coming from Charles - error code readers and such are fine, but not if its a Sunday afternoon and you want to use the car for work next day, or if stuck on the side of a road with just a toolkit to hand Wink Wink

But I take your point, service intervals are much longer on new stuff (in part due to better oils I suppose), and no-one bothers de-coking engines any more (is that down to better fuels, or better engines?).

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles makes a good point about servicing. As long as it is carried out religiously, then any vehicle will be more reliable. A service for any car is not just oil and filter, but as Charles says, flushing out the cooling system, and also things like brake fluid.

If there is one thing that I do not like about a lot of modern cars, its the fact that a lot of them today have belt driven ohc engines. Somehow, thats the thing that worries me, not the electronics. Especially when the odd manufacturer says that they dont need changing, and others do! That point alone creates a conflict in my little grey cell!

UJ
gillberry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all new to the forum and reading this a lot of interesting choices but when it comes to an engine should you look at noise (vCool , production run and other vehicle usage . by the way I love the rover v8 .
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum gillberry
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gillberry, welcome along, if you get a minute pop a 'Hello' on the intro's thread!

cheers, Rick
Charles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:

If there is one thing that I do not like about a lot of modern cars, its the fact that a lot of them today have belt driven ohc engines. Somehow, thats the thing that worries me, not the electronics. Especially when the odd manufacturer says that they dont need changing, and others do! That point alone creates a conflict in my little grey cell!

UJ

Ah yes I think we were all sceptical when rubber drive belts were introduced. A few years ago Vauxhall changed there recommended belt change interval up from 40,000 miles to 80,000 miles and then a year or so later brought it back down to 40,000 again!. Lots of warranty claims I should imagine!

That said I have to say if belts are changed on time and correctly fitted they don’t fail. We always fitted a belt kit which includes all the pulleys etc, some manufactures only specify a belt change, but a lot of the pulleys are nylon and I have seen them fail through fatigue, if you need to change a belt spend the extra £20 on a kit.

On the subject of belts we had a firm who serviced our engineering machines, on one occasion a drive belt needed changing on a drill press, the fitter did not have one the correct length so took a longer one, cut a section out and glued it with what he called super glue! I had no faith it would last, but was wrong 3 years later it was still giving service on a machine that was used daily!

Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: