classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spark Plug Caps Pre War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Spark Plug Caps Pre War Reply with quote

I'm restoring my 1939 Morris 8, to original spec; ........now in 1939 would it have had plug caps or an un-insulated ring attached to the HT lead with a knurled nut to attach to the plug?

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my old 10/4 Austin has insulated black Lodge caps, which could well be the originals. I don't think I have any old manuals or handbooks for that era of Morris 8, I did have a Z van a while back, there may be a photo in a period publication which could advise perhaps?

Will keep an eye out for your Stag too (thanks for posting the pics in the intros thread!), wouldn't mind seeing your Morris sometime?

Do you go to the informal transport festival they have in Nantwich, on Barony fields? last year I turned up in the Devon, and the year before the Standard. We both do the Audlem 'do' too.

cheers, Rick
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

The museum I'm a volunteer in has a 1939 Morris 8, Series "E" in its collection - I'd be happy to have a look, the only thing is I can't guarantee it's still as original as it was when it came out of the factory. The museum's vehicle collection are ones that have a social history i.e. they've been loved and used, which could mean its had "new" ignition cables at some point in its life.

Or would you prefer to wait for someone who can say categorically they had "X, Y & Z"? I wouldn't mind. Wink
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scotty

If you don't mind looking I would be interested, but like you say I suspect as with most cars of its age someone will have fitted plug caps, it would be so easy you wouldn't have to change the leads or plugs.
Funny I started my Series E restoration as a rolling on the road tidy up ! Now it a nut and bolt job perhaps I'm getting a bit too fussy about the detail!

Dave
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
I think my old 10/4 Austin has insulated black Lodge caps, which could well be the originals. I don't think I have any old manuals or handbooks for that era of Morris 8, I did have a Z van a while back, there may be a photo in a period publication which could advise perhaps?

Will keep an eye out for your Stag too (thanks for posting the pics in the intros thread!), wouldn't mind seeing your Morris sometime?

Do you go to the informal transport festival they have in Nantwich, on Barony fields? last year I turned up in the Devon, and the year before the Standard. We both do the Audlem 'do' too.

cheers, Rick

I caught a glimpse of the Nantwich Festival last year on my way back from picking up bags of cement from Rowlinsons builders merchants !!!!!!!!! aghhhhhhh
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

This is the best picture I could get - the car sits in a very dark display area and with the engine so low down in the bodywork it isn't the greatest photograph in the world!

You can only see two plug connections, and of course both have different fixing nuts, however the other two are the same as number 1 plug, using a knurled finger-nut to hold the brass metal connector down.

UKdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotty

That’s really interesting, I doubt if anyone would have reverted from insulated caps during the cars life.

Many thanks for your trouble.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: