classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vintage Memorabilia Resource Catalogue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Vintage Memorabilia Resource Catalogue Reply with quote

Hi,

Thought that some may be interested in this link. It details (with lots of pretty pictures for those who cannot read well Shocked Wink Shocked ) many fine examples of electrical gadgetry going back to the 1900's.

I have found it a valuable research tool when trying to date an item (and to find out whether the seller is telling porky-pies Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ) Always an essential when trying to kit out a VV Very Happy

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.linnell/sso/index.html

Cornish Lass
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cornish

Cool link thanks!! amazing, think of anything and someone somewhere is bound to collect them!

Reminds me, a couple of weeks back I found a 12v in-car Sirram car kettle, still boxed with its bits n bobs. I should probably have bought it Rolling Eyes although I don't think they are super-rare

Rick
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really neat web site - thanks CL. Wink
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah, I like that site, It seems I have an early hoover in the garage it used to be my grandads, who I inherited my hoarding gene from!

Cheers

Dave
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buzzy

Know that one..... I have two constellation (round ones) hoovers that I still use on a daily basis. They came from the 50's and are still work brilliantly. Shocked Shocked I wouldn't be without them, simple to maintain, fantastic suction and easly to use. Very Happy Very Happy

Don't know who I got my hoarding gene from though..... reckon it's every ancestor I've ever had Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Cornish Lass
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he, yeah I use it ocasionally for hoovering my car, real good suction, I will have to have a look at the actual hoover, never actually looked at it!!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember as a kid, my gran had one of those Ewbank push along vacuum thingies - still see them at car boot sales, but I don't remember them being much cop Laughing

Rick
alfanut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cornish_lass, great site. We've got an old copper electric kettle as an ornament, I think using it to boil water would be asking for instant electrocution. Sad It looked like the 1935 Swan model but with a wooden handle, so I had a look underneath and cleaned it up a bit and there it was - Swan Brand and 3 AU 1930, which must be the date of manufacture. The only trouble is that a 77 year old electric kettle looks like being the start of yet another collection Wink
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfanut wrote:
The only trouble is that a 77 year old electric kettle looks like being the start of yet another collection Wink

I wonder what 77 year old boiled water tastes like? Wink Very Happy
cornish_lass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know really, but I would hazard a guess that

my sister's tea is made from it....... absolutely yuk Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cornish Lass
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spent a while looking over the site. Absolutely fascinating. Thanks Cornish Very Happy

Trouble is, I remember some of these items from when I was younger, so I'm now feeling old! Laughing
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site CLass!

In 1936 my Dad was a Sales Manager with Hoover at Perivale, and I have some of his "awards" - a pewter mug, several medals, and certificates.

My Mum's best friend was a Secretary in his office and invited my Mum to their office do and my Mum and Dad met. When he was going to visit my Nan and Grandad for the first time he asked my Mum if there was a present they might like. Ever practical, my Mum suggested a Hoover! Dad gave them a Hoover Junior 375. Not the most romantic or conventional gift but it was obviously well received, as they let him marry their daughter!

Not only that but when my Nan passed away in 1972 she still had the same Hoover in full working order.

It is now in my loft. complete with the box of tools as shown on the website, and a few years ago I checked that it was still working.

Anybody give odds on the Dyson I've just bought lasting 70 years?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: