classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Insurance?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Insurance? Reply with quote

Hi

Any ideas on insurance for classics for a 21 year old? I have been looking but aparently you don't own classics untill you are 25 according to the insurers, I have tried to tell them I do but they won't listen!?

Also is there any particualar way/company to insure more than one classic/car, ie fleet, multicar, trade etc?

How does everyone else cope with insuring there collections?

Cheers

Dave
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance? Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

Any ideas on insurance for classics for a 21 year old? I have been looking but aparently you don't own classics untill you are 25 according to the insurers, I have tried to tell them I do but they won't listen!?

Also is there any particualar way/company to insure more than one classic/car, ie fleet, multicar, trade etc?

How does everyone else cope with insuring there collections?

Cheers

Dave

Oh buzzy bee, a man after my own heart. I'm sick to the back teeth with bloody insurance.

As I've said else where in my personal intro I rebuilt a mini rio for my son to learn to drive in and the cheapest quote is £1500 TPFT or there abouts........it changes daily.

My wife and I are both advanced drivers so he would be taught the same way and still we can't get it cheaper. There are a few companies that do multi car policies but only for one driver which is out for us.

Also you have to build up NCB on each car now so although I have max NCB on my miggy I don't on the mini so for me to insure it the cost would be virtually the same as for the son. Footman James don't touch under 25's or cars under 15 years old.

The best thoughts that I've come up with is finding an insurance risk taker like those at Lloyds of london etc and see if they will insure the car for say £250 but with a claim excess of say £1000 or £1500 so in essence any bangs and he doesn't claim but he then has third party cover for accidents etc.
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chimpchoker

Glad to have you on board, thanks for also putting the intro post on here - great pics!! the Jag looks great, always wanted a Mk2 myself Cool

Sorry I don't have any solutions for the insurance thing! Rolling Eyes

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have payed thousands for insurance, I am down to about 5 or 600 pounds now wich is quite cheap, but was wondering now I am 21 if I could get insurance on my two minis, pickup soon and maybe a bike when I get to buy one, under one policy. Else it is going to cost me between 1500 and 2000, and if I buy anything else on top, who knows!!

I tryed to go with insurance policies for classic car before I was 21 and was told that "people under 21 don't own classics", I must be the odd one out! Stupid really!

I know it is all because of my careless friends that keep crashing and laughing about it, not understanding it is effecting me too, in the long run!! Twisted Evil

Phew!! Rant over and I feel batter!!

Cheers

Dave Wink
dpr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lancaster-ins.co.uk/quick/YAHOO_intro.htm?OVRAW=classic%20car%20insurance&OVKEY=classic%20car%20insurance&OVMTC=standard

Lancaster are pretty good for my Lotus.

About £165 for 5000mls per year with a TS25 post code.
Oh yes and I'm over 21 (47yrs).

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: