classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Geoff Duke & J Type van
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Geoff Duke & J Type van Reply with quote

Thanks to UJ for sending this over

Bigger pic here:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/morris_j_van.htm

ta UJ

Rick
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Duke, eh! Blimey, that's a great name to have associated with a humble J Type. Very Happy

Born in 1923, he must be getting on, but he was still going strong in 2005, last I heard. Anyone know how he's doing?

If anyone did a Duke van it could pull a trailer with Nortons on it (or Gileras). Harvey Pitcher is a Norton man. Wonder if he ever thought of this?
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful picture, Unc. Thanks. Where did you come by it?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivet, I was hoping that you would see the photo. I thought that the paint would be neat on your van - didnt you say that you were/are a rocker - or was that someone else?

My Dad used to live across the road from him, which may explain things. As far as the van goes, he used it for his Nortons, and pulled the caravan with it. I could just imagine that weight going up over the alps - and then down again! Shocked
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for thinking of me Uncle. Have a look at my blog, where I have taken the liberty of posting your picture (hope that was ok)

http://tinworm.blogspot.com/2007/02/geoff-dukes-van.html

I did some Googling and apparently Duke was in business after he left racing, so I had wondered if this was a company van. When he raced he was on the Norton works team, so I'd have thought his bikes would have been carried in the manufacturer's vehicles.

I am not exactly a rocker Smile . I just have a few bikes, among them a chopped Lambretta, which gets me treated (rather aggressively) as a Rocker by Mods. I have a semi-restored 1962 Francis Barnett and did think of painting the van in FB livery and carrying the bike on the back...especially to bike meets. (both van and bike would be in black and white (BL Dover white).
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time that I heard, Duke was living on the Isle of Man, running a business called Duke Marketing, that are well known for Videos and so on. I believe that in the 1950's he was a partner in a motorcycle shop in St. Helens.

I'm not sure when the photo was taken, but I suppose that he could have been a privateer at the time. Somewhere on Google, it says that he left Norton in 1952. Is it possible that the photo was taken about this period? Maybe some of the caravan folk could date the 'van?

Rivet, whats the FB that you have? Had one myself once!

UJ
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these, UJ, a Francis Barnett Fulmar 88, though mine is in pieces in various boxes etc...except for the engine which is restored and sits in my living room.

admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of having an engine in the living room, respect Cool

I have suggested more than once that an old British bike would be a nice display item in the house, but support has been patchy on that particular idea, for some reason Rolling Eyes my uncle has a Velocette in his hallway, that spent many years in lots of pieces but fortunately is all back together now!

Rick
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Francis Barnett Fulmar Reply with quote

My firt Photobucket slideshow...try this out

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g102/rivet_101/fulmar/?action=view&current=1171128966.pbw
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Rick. This bike, a Lamb Chop (or Lambretta Chopper), stood in my front room for a year or two...until I put it back on the road. Luckily, I don't have a wife to tell me otherwise Very Happy This is a sweetheart photo that I keep in my wallet.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick: Velocettes, proper bikes made by a proper biking family. Only good mechanics can adjust their clutches (ask your Uncle). Very Happy

Rivet: T'was a Cruiser that I had. Always liked the Fulmar though...very...er... modern in its day. Is that a Phil Read helmet I see near the chop?

UJ
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the helmet design. I got it from Davida free when I was a dealer, very briefly. I liked the black and white tiger pattern because it goes with this scoot, will go with the Black and white Fulmar and looks fun on the Cyclemaster.

It isn't stricly speaking Kosher because it is a modern made helmet which does not meet modern regs, though ironically, I can wear my original and falling apart one perfectly legally because it meets the regs of its own time. The law is an ass but I am not complaining. Smile

bye for now
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Cruiser models were contemporaries of my Fulmar in 1962: the 80, the 84 and the Twin 89...and were all three featured in the same brochure as my bike. Which did you have, Uncle?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember distinctly that it had the 22H motor, ie the 225cc and was green/white. If I can read the brochure correctly, then those pictured had either the 199cc 'E' series or the 250....could it have been earler than those? I dont honestly remember the year... just that it was a good reliable bike!

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: