classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What colour
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: What colour Reply with quote

Ok Folks,

When I'm ready to get the jag painted what colour should it be?? THe original colour is green like here because this IS the car concerned. http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1628&start=15

BUUUUT I want a metalic colour so do I stay with British racing green and get it done metalic or go wild and have a new colour. ctually I like the look of the Oppelesant marroon code glassurit # Jag-7421A but equally impressive is the bluecolour glassurit # Jag-7410S[/img]
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimpchoker (you must explain that name more thoroughly to me), probably the best person on here to answer your question is Old-Nail. Judging by his excellent paintings, he does have a good colour sense.

But for what its worth, here are my thoughts. My favourite colour for the MkII's used to be Carmen Red. If you wanted this in a metallic, then perhaps something like Fords Tango metallic. If you want to stat with green, then current Jaguars have two, one dark, one somewhat lighter. I would possibly go for the lighter of the two, I think its called Jaguar Racing Green.

I know that you intend keeping this car, so promise me one thing. that you do it the EXACT colour that you want, even if its not original and others disagree!

UJ
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan

As UJ says, please explain your forum name!

With regards to your colour choice, my opinion is go for your favourite but remember the interior trim colour should complement the paint, not a problem if you are having it retrimmed, but I have seem some that just don't go together! Green leather and red or blue paint for example.

Just a thought.
xkjaguar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear chaps don't you know your history

residents of Hartlepool are generally referred to as MONKEY HANGERS
due to an incident during the Napoleonic wars when a chimp was allegedly washed up from a shipwreck and the locals having never seen one before hanged it as a french spy

thus chimpchoker/monkeyhanger
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orrrr XK!

I could have had some fun with that one......lol. Tis true however. In times long gone by the french decided to try their luck in the napoleonic wars and they stumbled across hartlepool and like a good friday night in town they got a good ol' kicking.
This link is the best I've come across and don't be slow in clicking on the mp3 link for the story in song form.....

http://www.thisishartlepool.co.uk/history/thehartlepoolmonkey.asp

It's a town, country and worldwide.....( well most of the world) legend and as supporters of Hartlepool United Football club we get called monkey hangers but it doesn't bother us.

People used to cry out who hung the monkey ? to which one would reply why is your father missing.......or "Are you a monkey hanger?" to which the reply is yes and I've got more rope in the boot as well .... they soon bugger off at that but have a look at the website and a listen to the song and then think of me..........

There are no monkeys in hartlepool to this present day although in the 50's there was one kept as a pet and it kept escaping it's cage. The owner knew exactly where to look for it........on the town boundry.......

......Besides, I daren't tell you the story behind my other handle of Ol' Rhinohide........

Last edited by chimpchoker on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s it is for the colour, I will be keeping the car and it will be re trimmed eventually.

I have no quarlms at all about not keeping it factory original as some do but I still want it to be nice....really nice.

Anyone else have some imput??

Take care,

Alan
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chimp

Hmmm dark green with satin black painted wires would do it for me, opened up rear wheel arch spats, leather bonnet straps etc - all very subtle and in period, not forgetting the straight thru exhaust

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the origins of 'chimphanger' and the Napoleonic wars. Is the Napoleon referred to the one that chewed his fingernails, then stuck his hand up his vest?

I'm hoping that buzzy bee sees this, then I'll post the whole story! Laughing

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: