classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

One car, just one.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: One car, just one..... Reply with quote

If you could only have one old car (or van, ambulance, racer etc), budget no object, in addition to a modern car for the daily commute, what would you go for??

a D-Type Jaguar would be on my shortlist, thats for sure, although something more obscure like a Cord or Bucciali TA V12 would probably be my ultimate.

Your fave?

Rick.
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alfanut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No contest, Lancia Flaminia Zagato (photo from AllsportAuto):
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lusted over one of these for years -

This is a Dennis MkI Scoosher, designed and built for Glasgow Fire Service in the late 1960's and was a new generation of fire engines. They were like standard fire engines except they were also fitted with hydraulic booms, much like a hydraulic platform except in place of a cage there was a firefighting water jet (monitor).
You might just be able to make out at the top centre of the cab the monitor, complete with a FireStat heat-sensor. The driver would set the vehicle up beside the burning building and raise the booms, from there the sensor would take over and guide the monitor towards the heat source. A metal spike fitted at the tip of the top boom, beside the monitor would smash the glass as the sensor guided the monitor towards the flames and then the monitor would switch on.
This was cutting-edge technology in its day, so much so the prototype was sent to Germany so the fire brigades there could see how it worked.

There were about 15 built in total, three MkI's (in the front row), 5 Mk II's and a variation of the MkII unofficially known as a MkIIa - about 7 of them (not in picture).

One Mk I & one MkII still exists - the MkI is in need of a serious amount of work, however the MkII is just about complete and I've had a tiny little bit of input with it helping the owner understand some of its layout.

If either came up for sale, I'm going into debt gladly and with a smile! Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there are only two contestants - a 1970 Plymouth Superbird or a 1969 Dodge Daytona Charger - 243mph, 5 seats..... How many of todays supercars can beat the speed, let alone the number of seats!

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something propelled by steam for me!
gillberry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late twenties Bentley for me 4.5 litre lovely .
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limiting myself to just one car would be for me impossible!

However, I can say it this way.. the car I would chose FIRST would most likely have been produced in America between 1936 and 1956, and could possibly have something of Harley Earls influence.

I'd probably get myself a 1950 Buick Roadmaster Riviera, or something similar like this nice two door coupe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: