classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Super shiny or a bit 'weathered' ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Super shiny or a bit 'weathered' ?? Reply with quote

Which do you prefer when it comes to old motors?

I like shiny vehicles so long as its not over-done, but I prefer cars in their original paint and perhaps showing a few warts, and the passage of time. A lot of restored cars (quite often those in 2 pack that to me looks a bit plasticky) seem way OTT for me, often shinier than they'd have been when new, and have no feel of 'age' to them.

Polished copper brake pipes (when dull steel ones would have been fitted originally) and gleaming brass radiator header tanks on 60s cars (when they'd have been painted originally) can often be found at shows, but which do you prefer?? slightly faded but original cars, shiny and to original spec, or super-shiny concours and everything polished up regardless of how it was when new?

Give me an original leather interior, even with a few splits, over a full retrimmed one every time Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Hmm, I used to seek perfection but am veering away from this now a little, I still like seeing stuff that is perfect, but aslong as it is fairly original, but the weathered old, used look is definateley growing on me in a big way! Cool

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone wonders, when I mention weathered, I mean a bit faded or perhaps with paint that has been polished through here n there, after countless Sunday afternoon polishing sessions over the decades. When it comes to rust, if it is holey, then it has gone too far and needs some remedial action, but if it is just a dusty surface patch here and there, then I don't mind it.

Smile

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a difficult one to answer. My own thoughts about paintwork is that it has to suit the car. Some cars should be shiny, even 'plasticy,' others shouldn't! It depends on what I call the cars 'soul.'

The thing that people dont realise, is that even when 2 pack is clear coated, it can have any gloss that is required, from matt to 'wet look' IF the painter knows how....

Going on to things such as brake lines. I'm starting to use stainless pipes and hoses now...how would that gel?

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with UJ in that each case is different.

If I had an almost immaculate original vehicle then it would be left alone, the 'almost' being genuine wear and tear.

If I had a old and scruffy original vehicle I would want to restore it, and not necessarily to factory standard but to a condition that satisfied me - it's my car after all.

This is the case with my Austin Somerset. I am replacing mechanical items and re-trimming the car interior to revive it and make it a usable and reliable old car, I have no thought for absolute originality because I don't feel that I am 'spoiling' anything - on the contrary, when I'm done I hope the car will last many years to come which it wouldn't have done otherwise.

As to the paintwork, well that too is a personal and individual matter for me. I would love to have this car re-sprayed in powder blue 2-pak, it's now dull battleship grey which is original, powder blue and whitewalls isn't but would certainly look better!

Finally, I am considering adding a couple of period driving lamps, again not standard or even original to the car but if I had owned this same car forty years ago then that's what I would have done back then too!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old-nail, your plans sound very sensible to me.... likely as not because we seem to be thinking the same way!

UJ
Johno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: As is or restored Reply with quote

I prefer cars to be unmolested unrestored even though my own Vauxhall is restored I bought it like that, I always think an unrestored car tells you about its history and the people that owned it, have you noticed I've said unrestored four times now, I think the atraction to old cars is that when you first see the car you want all dirty, tires flat, you know what I mean and the thoughts that are racing through your head as to how good you could make it look if it was yours, there's nothing like a car thats been looked after but showing its age. old leather seats dirty headlinings wood dash boards that need some polish, bloody hell it looks as though I might be looking for another motor the weekend.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to find a car that could be used keeping it as close to 100% original, just doing running repairs. A motoring journalist some of you may know; Mike Worthington –Williams, had a pre war Austin , a 20 I think , that had never been “restored” and it really was full of character, with all its small knocks weathered paint and improvements that were done because they were useful, just as people used to do with cars.

If we are honest these cars are few and far between, especially if they have endured a UK climate! Both my Morris 8 and MGA will be resorted to as near original spec as I can achieve, but for example using modern paint.

I have to say I really don’t like to see SU carb chambers polished to a mirror finish, or brackets that were painted now chromed etc, this is bordering on “Custom Car” stuff which has its place but not on my restorations!

Dave
PACresta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a discussion this one, yes i like to see cars that are weathered they can tell a good story. On the other hand (as in my case) once i took the decision to restore the Cresta i found myself wanting to do the best job i could and to do it to my own standards.
Yes i want to be able to polish the brake pipes, carb, wiper motor etc (sad really Rolling Eyes ), it will bring me a lot of pleasure. That is where the answer lies, at the end of the day the car is done for my pleasure not anyone else’s. When i view a car at a show i can appreciate each individuals choice, the main thing being the car has been saved from the scrappy or demolishion derby.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:"the main thing being the car has been saved from the scrappy or demolishion derby"

amen to that!! the hobby is full of extremes, from concours through to shabby-chic, 1980s through to 1900s, and everything in between, long may it continue

now where's my oily rag Wink

Rick
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have found my preferences changing, much like my taste in Single Malt Whisky.

As a younger man I liked my whisky light, with little strength and almost no body, whereas nowadays my taste looks for strong flavour, lot's of body and an after-taste that lingers long after the first glow has washed over.

Translate that into my taste in classic cars and you've got my stance. Wink
old gto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is difficult for me to say. I`ve seen excellent examples either way. There are some very nice paint jobs, almost to the point the vehicle looks better than it did from the factory. Then there are some nostalgic rods, dressed only in primer that look the part, and will never see a coat of paint.
There are some "undisturbed" classics that still wear their original, all be it faded, factory paint.
I`ll have to echo what`s already been said, each case is different.
Myself.....I like them all!
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I too like them all bit I am starting to wish for something original and unmolested for myself. Went to see an anlgia 105E a couple of months ago and it was in totally original condition. One owner from new, with factory paint still though had had an accident some time and had a bonnet and mudguard resprayed but it all looked good a bit of polish and would really be nice again, fantastic interior but we didn't agree a price so I don't know what happened to it!!
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad bought a brand new Morris Minor convertible in 1956; it was a split screen and one of the last 803cc cars. It was his everyday car until the mid 70’s when it got retired and left in the garage. From 1956 onwards he added reversing lights, fog and spot lamps, converted it from semaphore to flashing indicators, when the engine needed rebuilding he put a 998cc unit it in, he added a radio, changed to radial tyres, fitted an electric screen wash etc, and all the “accessory” gadgets that people used to fit.

He retired in the 90’s dusted the old car down, did what needed doing to get it through an MOT, which included rebuilding the brakes, so he took the opportunity to fit a servo and front discs. To make it more usable he then fitted an 1275 unit and upgraded the suspension, then he fitted rear fog lamps an FM radio and cd changer, if he had kept it I’m quite sure today it would have sat nav!. It did have though original paintwork and upholstery.

The car was sold it in 1998 to a chap who has taken it all back to original spec and takes it rounds shows as an example of a 1 previous owner car in original condition; he has not repainted it or redone the upholstery, but “airbrushed out” 40 years of the cars history.

During the 70’s as a kid it was normal for Dad to be “modifying” the car, which he just carried on doing when he got it back on the road in the 90’s. I cringed at some of his later mods as had begun to appreciate older cars, but when I saw the car a couple of years ago back to original spec it was very sad, we have lost the real history.

My point is that there is no right or wrong, if you saw a 1950’s car, like my Dads with the wrong engine, brakes & suspension and fitted with modern gadgets it would not be appreciated unless the context of how it evolved was understood. Equally as UJ has pointed out in this and other posts a good painter can paint a “weathered” look, the same could be done with trim, in other words an artificial original looking car that could have any origin, which would you want to see?

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where you're coming from UKD, which brings me to something else I like to see at shows - a bit of information in the window of a car, showing its history.

If your dad's car had survived with all its mods in place, initially it might raise a few eyebrows at shows, being fitted with fairly modern-day stuff like the CD player and so on, but if the background info was given on a screen display sheet, the evolving history would come out and everything would make more sense. Personally I prefer old cars to be fitted with contemporary accessories where possible, but equally it can be fascinating to find out more about a car that has evolved with its long-term owner over many decades.

Faked age I don't like at all, unless it is for a localised repair on an otherwise original vehicle

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: