classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Getting away from it all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Getting away from it all! Reply with quote

Well it seemed such a nice day today that I decided a little jaunt in the Vanguard was in order, so Mrs. Nail an I set off for the lake district and beyond.

We set off just before lunch and headed up towards Windermere where we planned to stop off for lunch.

Leaving shortly after lunch we headed up through Ambleside and on to Grasmere where again we stopped for an hour or so to wander round the little village, spoiled only by the low level roar of RAF jets.

Its funny that I am a keen aviation fan and love to watch the jets zooming around level with me (or sometimes even below me) up at Kirkstone pass but it seemed a complete nuisance to hear them repeatedly roaring overhead in a quaint little village!

Off we went again, this time headed for Keswick and the skies were turning a little overcast which was a shame as the forecast had I stayed home was good!
I had filled the Vanguard up with petrol before we left and she was running like a good 'un, never missing a beat the whole way even at 'motorway' speeds.
Mrs. Nail was desperately trying to take photo's of the scenic bits on the move but most were blurred due to my rate of knots! (I can't help it Very Happy )

As we were so far up it was decided (that's code) Wink that we would call at the mother in laws who lives at Carlisle, so from keswick we drove across the A66 to meet up with the motorway again and on up to Carlisle.

In all this time the old Vanguard performed superbly, I had worried a little about climbing some of the hills but I needn't have - it flew up them...in overdrive!

After a cup of coffee and some food at Mrs Nails Mothers we set off on the road back.
It was six o'clock and I fancied being home before dark so decided to use the motorway all the way home, the Vanguard settled into a steady pace and seemed to thrive on the open road, as previously it has only been used for relatively short journeys.

I planned to get half way home and over the infamous Shap hill and then stop to let the car cool down a little and 'rest', but the way she stormed over Shap I just kept on going!

The weather got brighter the further down we got so I knew that we had missed the best of it but it was still nice to be steaming through sun soaked moorland, the sun glinting off the 'Rocket' hood ornament, and all in an original 1954 car that has never been rebuilt or modified - quite amazing!

Photo above: The Vanguard stormed uphills in overdrive!

We arrived home at a little before eight, had covered 240 miles round trip (mostly cruising at 70mph+) and having reversed into my driveway the car just sat there quietly 'pinging' as she cooled down, she used no oil, and only six gallons of petrol, all of which have exceeded my expectations by a country mile.... boy! - they don't make 'em like they used too! Cool[/b]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story ON, and fab piccies too!!

I wish my Devon rolled along at that rate, I quite like the idea of driving something that bowls along both sedately, or with a little more gusto, as and when required!!! perhaps I should put a V8 in it... Wink Laughing

great stuff
RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Great story, and a great day out I would have thought, weather is not important, being out in an oldie, in the hills, on the roads you allways imagine these cars on! Funny really when I go into day dream mode, I never imagine oldie in towns or cities but rater on quiet open roads!

Great pics, thanks mrs Nail! The second picture is an oaresome one, all of the different greens and browns, high up on one side low on the other, Great Very Happy !!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others, nicely written story of a nice trip.

It is neat when an classic can perform as well, if not better than modern cars....have cars really developed all that much for the better since then?

UJ
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story looks like you enjoyed your dayout always best when having relaxed driving in a classic Very Happy
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read - that could be in Scotland its so nice. Very Happy
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotland is just over yonder hill Scotty!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: