classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Soluable oil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Soluable oil Reply with quote

Read somewhere about putting a small amount of 'Soluable oil' (the type used for cutting on lathes etc) in the radiator to quieten water pumps and prevent corrosion.
Have not tried it yet as I am uncertain about the effect on the coolant.
Anyone know?
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that one, there is a so called 'water wetter' solution that purports to do the same thing but it's quite expensive I find.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have often thought of adding some to a radiator, we use alot of this coolant, and it stops the machines going rusty. I thought it may do the same to keep the radiator clean, stop it going rusty, it shouldn't hurt as far as I can think, being a coolant, but not sure what happens if you were to mix it with an antifreeze, the coolant oil/water still freezes on us in the workshop in the winter!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking about this, I'm not sure that theres any point. Good quality antifreeze mixed 50/50 with distilled water should work just as well. Otherwise, there are waterless coolants on the market today....

UJ
welder

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Soluable oil Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
Read somewhere about putting a small amount of 'Soluable oil' (the type used for cutting on lathes etc) in the radiator to quieten water pumps and prevent corrosion.
Have not tried it yet as I am uncertain about the effect on the coolant.
Anyone know?

You must have read this along time ago! I/we used to do this about 40 years ago and even then, only because it was free as we worked in an engineering environment. It worked to some extent but back then it was about all that was available, these days I add Barrs Leaks to the coolant of every water cooled vehicle I use. It seeks out leaks, lubricates pumps and raises the boiling point of the water to which it is added. I believe that Jaguar Cars and Aston Martin specify this from new, that'll do for me!

Ian
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Ian, I probably did read it a long time ago but my memory was pricked by finding a gallon can of it in my garage.
I have always sworn by 'Bars Leaks' myself but didn't realize the other benefits.
Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: