classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

another weekend of self-abuse
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: another weekend of self-abuse Reply with quote

oy! not that kind; spent the remains of Saturday and all day Sunday swapping out the FE engine in my Galaxie (yes; it's spelled with IE not Y) and this was done alone on a small concrete drive with a dodgy lift and plenty of swearing... and by gum it's STILL not DONE, have the flexplate, bellhousing, starter motor, and exhaust to suss out. at least the bonnet's back on. mind you all, i spend MY workday behind a parts counter; not doing the hard graft, so i "felt the benefit" this morning... but still; it's the hobby i chose, and i enjoy it, really....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so whats the plan, recondition the existing lump or swap it for a better one???

Rick
Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That dodgy lift caused you a lot of work, would it not have been easier to have lifted the engine/trans as one unit? Thats the way I did a Bulletbird a couple of years ago....

Is it by any chance a Chrysler parts counter you work behind, or Ford?

If it was GM, that would be self-abuse! Laughing Still, you'd never be unemployed if it was! Laughing

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crappy caster wheels on the lift; really need replacing. the FE by itself is nearly 650lbs; with the cruisomatic looking at around 900, so it has to come out separately IMHO. i HAVE pulled complete v8's with trans but they are very unweildy. and i don't even work for "domestic" brand, i work for VW! the lump i took out was cruddy. sorry, interrupted!
it was quite amazing, the sheer amount of sludge built up in the supposedly "good" engine (it ran fien, but was very noisy) i installed last fall. well; that will teach me for hurrying...
the THIRD replacment is very clean and tight. we'll soon see!
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

series continued! in between periods of thunderstorms and gainful employment, my saga continues. Tuesday night i managed to get flexplate bolted up, bellhousing tightened, and starter installed. Wednesday evening saw the replacement exhaust manifolds installed; a job more correctly done while the engine is OUT of the car...
and the manifolds bring me around to a bit of work my Dad paid to have done while he owned the car. needing exhaust work, he took the car to a local supposedly reputable shop for new muffler and pipes. these chaps bodged it so badly (the main downpipe was crushed almost FLAT) that the car scarcely ran, and backfired continuously until the muffler split. dear old Dad took the car back, and the crew said the muffler wasn't covered under the warranty, but they'd replace it for labor costs. this was done, and still the car wouldn't run worth spit. Dad took the car to another shop, who appeared to simply take his money, and do NOTHING to repair the first job.
now; my Dad's not dumb; far from it! he is, however, almost 70 and i firmly believe that BOTH shops figured he was too old to put up a fight over his old car. which is simply wrong, and he told them so!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboys?!

I have allways stayed with one guy, that my family has used for a long time!

Cheers

Dave
kaybee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rebel, just wondering what year Galaxie you have, cheers, Col
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a 1959; i think in Oz it was still sold through 1960; the BIG one! with the small reversing lights atop the tail fins. i used to have a true '60 starliner hardtop, but it deteriorated beyond MY capability to repair.
kaybee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Rebel 62, me too Smile

Mine is an ex California car, still in original paint. Yes, we had the 59's into '60 here, just used a different grille with rectangle trims in place of the star pattern and block letter Ford on the hood, cheers, Col.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That sure looks tidy!

Cheers

Dave
62rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

col, your car is amazing. i still have a long way to go... but i think it's all downhill from here.
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62rebel wrote:
i work for VW! ...on the parts counter

Very Happy So do I Very Happy
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a small world after all! so; what do YOU think of the Eos? cor Blimey it's expensive to fix. i'm waiting for an insurance job where one gets hit up the backside with the top down..... OY! there's a proper commission cheque... you fellas have the really small Polo there, haven't you? wish we could get those here, along with proper vans instead of the bloody Touareg (we got another name for that one.. sounds somewhat similar)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By really small Polo, do you mean what we call the Lupo? We have one here with a neat little 3 cylinder diesel...

UJ
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT would be the one; wish we had that to sell...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: