classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spray Guns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Spray Guns Reply with quote

I have a cheaper Machine Mart suction spray gun, and have achieved good results, what is the difference between say a Devilbiss gun and my cheapo one , both have a simular spec, but the Devilbiss costs about 10 times as much !

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UK, you knew that I would answer this, didnt you?

The basic difference between cheap and expensive guns has been the fact that certain parts have been hardened on the dearer ones, to enable them to last longer. The trouble is, odd ones from say China are equally as good now, but still cost far less.... Shocked

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ

Your right I thought you would have a view on this!

So for someone like me and probably most folks on this forum who will use a gun a couple of time a year it makes no sence to buy a pro brand gun.

I think alot of the stuff from China has got better over the last couple of years.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. You hit the nail right on the head!

Personally, if I was looking for a new gun now, I would go for a mid price range model. Nothing to cheap, but not expensive either.

I know that there is one particular chines gun on te market at present, that is beginning to get a very good name here from some of the pro's...trouble is, I cant remember its name....must be getting old...

UJ
richard 2509

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello....if you are buying sprayguns can i suggest that a) its a gravity fed one because they are not wasteful with paint and b) it has a 1.4 fluid tip as these produce the best finish (imo). i have a devilbiss gti at work costing over £150 and at home i use a £26 cheapie with about the same results.....
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest trouble with gravity feed spray guns is that you need a stand for them when you put them down, which is obviously not the case with a suction.

As far as the tip size is concerned, a lot depends on what material you are going to spray, I usually use a 1,4 also, but I do change the size now and again for some jobs...

Paint wastage with suction feed guns... well, I've always got paint left over anyway.....

The curious thing with spray guns is in one part of the world, maybe 95% are suction....in the other, maybe the same amount are gravity.... Users choice I suppose....

UJ
richard 2509

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry uj i didnt mean to lock horns with you on this one.....ive got suction guns as well but am grateful (and better off!) for my gravity fed gun when i lacquer.....only have to mix exactly what i need for the job...no 1/4" left over at the bottom of the suction cup going to waste....and yes you need a 1.8 fluid tip for hi build primer....
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt consider it locking horns in the least, so there is absolutely no need to apologise whatsoever. All I see it as is a friendly exchange of opinions, which is what this forum is for.

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: