classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

After Market Electronic Ignition Kits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: After Market Electronic Ignition Kits Reply with quote

I’m thinking of fitting an electronic ignition system to the Stag. The Stag has 2 sets of points and condenser's so potentially doubles the LT troubles!

I have done a bit of research, top of the list seems top be the Lumenition system, which replaces the points with an optical electronics, and triggers the coil via an electronic swich.

I’d be interested in anyones expirience both good and bad in the Lumenition system, or if you have veiw on other systems let me know.

Cheers Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I would think that you are about right with the Lumenition system, but have you considered the Pertronix? I know it is available for the Stag, is cheaper than the other, and has got good reports on US V8's over here.

Also, have you considered things like MSD and Accel?

UJ
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Dave, I would think that you are about right with the Lumenition system, but have you considered the Pertronix?
UJ

Good choice UJ. The Stude guys have been using the Pertronix conversion for years with great results. Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuchamp, you've just proved the old expression, great minds think alike...

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm going to take a look at this kit.

Dave
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trawlig the web looking for a UK supplier for the Petronix system, couln't find one, came accross this Aldon site.
Do you know if this is the same product marketed under a different name in the UK?

http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/shop/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=118&strPageHistory=cat
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, try the following link for the Pertronix system:

http://www.classicgarage.com/pertriumstag.html

Otherwise, to check for a UK distributor try contacting Pertronix directly at www.pertronix.com I'm sure they will help.

Otherwise, its no problem doing a private import from the US yourself. I just got an exhaust delivered from California for my 300, 4 days after ordering, at half our local price, and that includes Import duty and our 25% VAT! Very Happy

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UJ

Contacted Pertronix , who distribute within the UK from this site http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/

I have found out that Aldon's stuff is the Pertonix kit with an Aldon lable on!, they even have the same part numbers, but the Aldon stuff is almost exactly twice the price!!! that a lot to pay for a sticker.

I'm going to order a Petronix kit and will let you know how it performs.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: