classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mig welders and aluminium?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Mig welders and aluminium? Reply with quote

Some time in the future I'll need to do some repairs to aluminium panelling (on the Dodge trailer), which has received several nicks and rips to the skin. Question is (and I am a complete novice!!), can a Mig welder be modified and used for welding aluminium, or am I stuck with a) buying new equipment altogether b) or using a kit such as Lumiweld, that I've seen advertised?

thanks
Rick.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumiweld is only suitable for non-stressed applications.

MIG (as well as TIG) is ideal for aluminium alloy sheet. You dont really need to modify your welder very much.

Aluminium welding wire is usually available in 0,8mm, 1,0mm and 1,2mm diameters. Therefore if your feed is in good condition, it could just be a matter of getting the 0,8 wire. My personal preference however, is to use 1,0 wire, and use Teflon / Keran feeders, if these are available for your welder.

For gas, I use a 50 / 50 mix of Helium and Argon, unless I am welding thicker sections, when I change to 70 / 30.

Some people change the welders polarity, but for me, this is just BS!

Hope this helps.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick i also have a mig and asked about the aluminium welding at the welding supplies store and you can do it with the mig you will need to buy another welding lead and nozzle the problem is that the aluminium wire is tacky it may be the coating on it anyway the cable is tethlon coated so the wire moves through the lead easily and i think they recommended the argon shield if you are using gas apparently it is better for mig welding as well just more expensive i run co2 and i am happy with that a bottle lasts for ages and is cheap to fill 35.00 nz.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about aluminium is, though it can be welded using MIG, and the welds are OK, my own personal experience is that if you have the possibility, its way better to use TIG. Although I know that some people will disagree with this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: