classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoration Book
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Restoration Book Reply with quote

Over the past few weeks, it has been suggested to me by several people that I use my experience in restoring vehicles to write a book on the subject, aimed at people with a limited budget (ie all of us!).

What I would like to know is what would you all like to see in such a book?

And do any of you have any opinions on the subject?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in here, sounds like a great idea!

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind reply, Rick.

Come on, you others out there, tell me what you would like to see in it. All suggestions are welcome!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What chapters do you have in mind to include in the book???

Rick.
Question
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present, I´m thinking of splitting the book up into 5 sections, with chapters in each.

Section 1: Introduction

Section 2: Getting Started. Owners clubs, websites, tools, safety, etc.

Section 3: Cosmetic. Welding, painting, body soldering, upholstery, etc

Section 4: Mechanical. Electrics, engine, transmission, etc.

Section 5: Upgrades. Electronic ignition, 12 volt conversions, etc.

Section 6: Maintenance. Minor repairs, sevicing, etc.

How does that sound?
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: tricks Reply with quote

I'd be looking for those hot tips for easing really solidly stuck parts, dealing with rust, etc.

Nothing I have tackled so far has unscrewed without a fight.

Currently I am trying to get pistons out of wheel cylinders. The cylinders are cast aluminium and the pistons are steel; bugger of a combination.

I have tried the trick of popping them in boiled water and leaving them for 5 minutes, without success. Tomorrow I am soaking them in paraffin.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My usual trick with wheel cylinders is to soak them overnight in bulk WD40 or similar, then warm them with a blowtorch the following morning, paying special attention to the cylinder / piston gap. I then try to blow them out with compressed air. if it doesn´t work the first time, I then just spray the gap, heat, and try again.

Its a bit of a butchers method, because obviously it wrecks the rubbers, but has never failed me!
coolcon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Joe!
Floride

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Restoration book Reply with quote

Good idea but please do some research into what is already out there. The ones I have seen show you how to restore the easy stuff like Minors and MGS, how about the harder ones where there is virtually nothing and you have to make from sheet steel and roll of upholstery material.

I was going to tackle something very similar a couple of years ago but could not find a publisher who wanted something that indepth. A limited market.

My later thoughts were a CD/DVD and even a complete internet site.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of tips on welding to really thin tin and spray painting tips, or even ways to get best results brush painting would be good.

Also tips on cleaning interiors and even cleaning/restoring old paintwork.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of the hard stuff is a good one, that was brought to my attention when I started on my Lincoln, parts just aren´t available for it, so a lot has to be made / modded.

I have been thinking about either a subsciption only website, or possibly even publishing myself.

At present, I´ve got 3 chapters more or less complete, spray painting, repairing body mouldings, and body soldering. At present I´m working on maintenance and welding thin sheet. I can get down to welding 20-25 thou. Is that thin enough for you, buzzy?

Coachpainting I´ll have to think about, but upholstery from scratch will definately be included - my wife gas just bought out a Trimming Company, with my money!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trimming company - sounds handy but expensive!

I think that is thin enough for me!

Body soldering would be really interesting, allways wanted to find out more about that.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, I could teach you Body Soldering basics pretty quickly, and then the only thing that you would have to do is practice.

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting! I have not found many people that are willing to do it around here.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, as you possibly know from Rick, I live in foreign parts. If you wish, we can set something up next time I am over. (Autumn). Maybe through Rick?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: