classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic car audio
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Classic car audio Reply with quote

I know that on this forum there are a few people that are knowledable as to the subject of Audio in classic cars, so I would like to hear a few thought on the subject, as I'm looking into this at present, hopefully being able to fit a nice system to my 300.

What should I be looking for?

UJ
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you fit a secondhand unit, I don't believe you'll find a modern 'period-looking' one. I tried to no avail. The closest I found, whilst having the 'look', still has a digital readout.
There may be a company producing such items, as I have seen domestic radios etc. for sale with old fashioned looks.

Calling Captain Google....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are companies around that overhaul period radios to their original spec, or else take an old unit, and cram modern gear within the old casing, so that visually everything is right and proper, yet offer far better sound than before.

Its not something I've looked into a great deal though, none of my cars have been quiet or civilised enough to warrant a good radio inside!! Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

What year is your 300? and is your main interest your own music or Radio?

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get hold of a used original unit, and a company about 150 miles away from me can modify it to have the original appearance, but with 4 channel output. The trouble is a previous owner has already butchered the dash to fit in a modern unit, and 300 dash parts are not the easiest to find...so possibly a working modern unit may be a good idea. Dont like the idea of a digital readout though!

Another problem is with the speakers. Who on earth makes a good 8 x 4 nowadays? Or should it be replaced (as it already has) by 2 4 inchers? Then there is the problem of the front speakers (in the kick panel). These are 1 1/42 deep with a dia. of 5 1/4. But at least the 6 x 9's under the parcel shelf are easy to get hold of.

UJ
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, my 300 is a 1965, with all of the 'L' options. There are some photos of it under the 'Your Restorations' section.

As radio is rubbish here, it will usually be music that I listen to, usually 50's/60's stuff, but when I'm feeling young, maybe even 70's! Laughing

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a number of audio “upgrades” on classic cars, and with out exception folk want today’s level of audio quality with yesterdays looks! Regarding radio which you said is not your main interest, years ago most stuff was on AM today its on FM.
You can convert an AM radio to FM and there are a number of firms who do this, although its not really a conversion, as AM and FM are really different in terms of electronics, so basically fit FM circuitry into the old case. If you are going to get this done make sure the amplifier s are replace as was with modern stuff, it will be more powerful, better quality and allow the use of lower impedance speakers.

Regarding your speaker challenge, the firm on the link below will supply new 8”x 4” speaker units, and do other radio mod’ if required.

http://www.turnswitch.com

I have used their oval speakers, they are better quality than the original, but not as good as some modern round units. A way round this is to fit 2 smaller round speakers on a baffle. If you go down the 2 smaller speaker route, you need to know your what amplifiers maximum load is in terms of speaker impedance; if it’s 8 Ohm, use 2 x 4 Ohm speakers and wire them in series, if its 4 ohm use 2 x 8 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel.

If you want to play your own music the easiest way these days is to use an FM radio either original or converted, have your music on an Ipod , connect an FM transmitter module (in the UK these add on modules are less than £20), this way you don’t have to connect directly to the radio or do any other mods.
A few years ago I fitted CD changers to old radios but you have to make a physical connection to the radio and some way of controlling the CD’s, I fitted period switches on the dash wired to the CD units, but its a lot of work.

If you need a period FM radio; Blaupunkt made good FM units in the 60’s so they look right, I’m sure there are as good US manufacturers who made FM units in the 60’s , but I have no experience of them.
Some of these units them have a “line out” so you can connect a modern and better amplifier, discreetly hidden to upgrade the system, if they don’t you can pick the audio up from within the unit

Hope this helps, Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, thanks for the link. Wonderful place! I just visited it, they even have the correct replacement speakers for my Lincoln...(which has an original AM/FM non working radio). Now to brush up on Ohms law!

UJ
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently fitted a Radiomobile 100 to my 1947 Rover.
The Radio has been modified with an FM modulator and also a socket for CDs/MP3. The cost was in the region of £350.00

[/img]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi P2, your Rover looks superb - have you had to do much to it?

the radio mod is very neat too

Rick Smile
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick, It is more or less as I bought it. Had it 4+ years. Some minor bits and pieces required changing but nothing major.
Some of your members have possibly seen pictures of it on other forums.
I will post some pics on this forum also
Cheers. John
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, the Rover is a very nice looking car.

The solution shown on the Rover is one that I would like to do myself. However, my radio is in the dash, and not under it. Unfortunately, the dash has been butchered to make the new radio fit. If I can get hold of an original radio, I can get it reworked to the 4 channel set up mentioned. I can repair the dash damage, apart from that done to a cosmetic panel. This panel is almost impossible to find....

The big trouble is really the speakers. Under the dash should be a 4x8, but this I am going to replace with two 4" ones. Each of these will be connected to the 5 1/4" in the kick panel (one 4" to one 5 1/4"). If anyone has a good idea how to do this and still have 4ohms, I would be grateful to know their suggestion. I think I know how it should be done, but would like a second opinion. That only leaves the 6x9's under the parcel shelf.

UJ
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd re-open this thread rather than start a new one. As you may have seen in 'introductions', I'm restoring a 1958 Aston and am looking for a classic radio to go in it. I've decided on the model I want a Radiomobile 4620 made by S Smiths & Sons with a lovely HMV "Nipper" the dog logo on the push buttons. HMV is quintessentially English and will be perfect in the Aston. Now, I have one I bought on eBay which has black knobs and buttons but I want one with Cream buttons. The indicator stalks on the Aston are cream so I think this will complement the interior perfectly. So... if anyone has one with cream/white buttons or knows of one please let me know, I'll happily do a swap or buy it. Smile

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on this. In the photo, the buttons resemble ivory. Could it not be possible to get copies on the existing radio buttons made in synthetic ivory? It shouldnt be to difficult, or am I way off base?
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bump on this thread... Laughing I now have my S Smith & Sons Radiomobile unit back from being converted to provide FM radio with a jack plug input for an iPob together with 4 x channel amplifier output. I'm happy that I can find suitable 4 ohm speakers but I was wondering what others have used for an aerial. I don't want to drill the bodywork so I will probably use a powered aerial stuck somewhere inconspicuous but I'd be interested to hear other ideas. Rich...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: