classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1955 Ford Fairlane Victoria
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: 1955 Ford Fairlane Victoria Reply with quote

Thought it was about time this had it's own thread. Embarassed

Bought with the insurance money from Hubby's car accident last year and as a stock-gap while our Super Snipe was off the road last year. This is our 1955 Ford Fairlane Victoria.

It's been lowered by a couple of inchs and has mostly been de-badged to give it that mild kustom look that we like.

Hubby's into his Kustom's and has been a member of the UK Kustom's Klub for several years, with plans to turn our 1953 Humber Hawk into a Sled, but when this came up that plan was put on the back burner (again!)

The car was bought last August and used until it's MOT ran in out at the end of September, then Hubby took it off the road to sort out the electric's and ended up re-wiring it. He's also done some work on the brakes and treated tit to a new British style number plate, as we weren't sure how we'd get on with the USA style at our local MOT station.

He's put it in for an MOT next Monday (21/07) and will let you know how we get on. Confused

Next up is saving for some new wheels and proper whitewall tyres. (I don't like the flaps on it at the mo) Then think about re-doing the interior and maybe the bodywork and paint. I love the bright red, but hubby fancies something a bit different. But if he changes it too much, I'll have to make another set of fluffy dice, as I made a pair of white ones last year with red spots.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking that there was something that was not quite right with this car since you posted the photos a while ago. When I looked at these, I suddenly realised what it was....its not the usual two tone paint.

Doesnt detract from the car at all though...
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great to see the pics Giggles - I like the single colour scheme as it is now, but the more subtle look always appeals to me Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I like it too, and those chrome side spears remind me of a Buick of the period.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I'm not so sure any '50's american cars can be called subtle... Very Happy

At the risk of starting a debate though, its funny how US cars seem to be more accepted if they arent original, and european cars cant be anything else... Shocked
Giggles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on to something there UJ. I think the only exception to that would be the Beetle, but having said that the Cal-look of the late '80's and early '90's seems to have fallen from favour with the VW boys, it's now either rat look or Resto-cal.

We're not sure if the paint scheme is orginal, as the side trim doesn't appear to be long ,enough to have been a 2-tone car. (Opps, we've got the reverse of that with our 2-tone Snipe Confused )
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that 1955 was the first year that Ford offered two tone paint. If your car still has the data plate, its possible to decode it to check.

The acceptace of non-standard US cars is part of the thing that makes them so much fun in my opinion.

Cousin G, have you considered that my other US car is a Ford product...could this be a case of great minds thinking alike? Laughing
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it goes back to the 'copycat' thing that we have had with America for years. An American car looks nice modified, British cars modified always look like the poor relations to me.
I have enduring memories of MkII Consuls with those Buick style portholes cut into the wings and fake leopard skin seat covers... just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.
Kaybee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Giggles, your rear quarter trim is a bit short...supposed to make it all the way to the tail light....and it would most likely have been a 2 tone colour scheme. If the original ID tag is still on the l/hand pillar, the colour code will be there. If you want to put it on here, I should be able to tell you what it means.
....and...U/J, first offering on 2 tone schemes was in the '50 Crestliner ( which was a bit ...yuk Smile )...but from '51 on they got it sorted and it was common on most of the higher optioned cars like the Crestliner in '51 and Crestline for '52/3/4 and then the Fairlane in '55, but you could still order single colour too. Regards, Col.
Giggles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a look for the plate later when hubby brings the car home from the barn.

Cosuin UJ, how strange. Cool
Giggles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
If your car still has the data plate, its possible to decode it to check.

No data plate under the hood I'm afraid, but we did notice that the underside of the hood is white. The dash is red and aparently inside of the boot was white as well. The length of that side trim is still strange, as it looks like it's too short for a 2-tone car, it's about 3 or 4 inches shorter than the trim that is on the wing.

Anyone shed any light?

Edit: just read Kaybee's earlier post, thanks. So maybe when it was resprayed someone shortened it to cause confussion in later years. Congrats, as I am. Wink Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cousin G, the data plate is not under the hood, but on the left front door pillar. A certain amount of info can be gleaned from the VIN Number, but not the colour .

PM the vin, and I'll decode it for you.
Kaybee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giggles, here's where you look...

and this is it.....

apologies for the crappy photo....but it does have everything relevant to the car on this plate.....
top line...P= 312 engine...6= 1956..L= Long beach (assembly plant)
V = Victoria body style and the numbers are the consecutive unit numbers, or ID if you prefer.

Lower line......64c= body type (fairlane hardtop 2 dr.)....LE= colour code (Peacock blue and Colonial white)....AN=trim colour...3C= date...150= no. 150 off the production line.

....and this is the car,

it's being licensed today....just been tidied up and readied for the road after being laid up in the USA for 10 years, a substantially original car with a very nice body ...just needed a small rust repair and some paint touch ups here and there....

Got a bit of a Fairlane thing happening just now.... Smile

....and another one due in tomorrow....a full resto this time....
Rolling Eyes
Cheers, Col.
Giggles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly me was looking in the wrong place! Confused I'll get hubby to have a look, the car's hopefully going in for it's MOT later today.

Are Fairlane's like Super Snipe's, in that they bred if you're not careful? Laughing
Kaybee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno 'bout that Giggles....I'll have to check for spare Humbers..... Laughing Laughing . The blue Fairlane got it's registration OK and went home today, so we're down one..... Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: