classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

6 volt batteries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
stedanchri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: 6 volt batteries Reply with quote

Hello all
I am new to the forum and after many years of waiting I have finally acquired my classic mg.
It is a 1968 bgt and I have a couple of questions about the batteries that I hope someone on here can answer.
It has 2 6volt batteries and my question is how do I attatch a battery jump starter to these? Do I put the negative and positive leads to the corresponding posts on one battery or one on each battery? also when charging do I again attatch the charger to one battery or do I put a lead on each.
I hope someone can answer these for me
Thanks very much
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are jumping 12 volts and on -ve earth you put the +ve on the car main battery lead and the negative on the car earth lead terminal
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Imagine that the link cable is the same as the central link between cells in a normal 12 volt, used to be easy to visualise this because these links used to be on the top of the battery instead of hidden inside.

Positive to Positive/ Negative to Negative and bridge both batteries treating them as a single 12V
They say do + first and then do the -
But if the car is +earth, I think I would do it the other way, - then + because it is suggested that whichever is the earth side that it is better to connect to a a Chassis/Body/Engine connection rather than direct to the battery post in order to avoid sparking and possible explosions when completing the circuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: