classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Choosing an angle grinder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Choosing an angle grinder Reply with quote

As my old (240v) angle grinder is sounding a little raucous, I'm planning to replace it. I've seen ones that can be run from a compressor, is there any advantage to buying one of these, or should I stick with a mains powered one? I'm only an occasional user so I'd not need one from a super brand, just something to use occasionally. Is one quieter to use than the other?

ta, R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 4 1/2" angle grinders from screwfix for about £17.50 inc vat, I'd buy a couple have a grinder on one and a knotted bevel brush on the other (excelent for removing rust & cleaning metal prioir to welding).
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50168/Power-Tools/Grinders/Erbauer-ERB115P1-4-Angle-Grinder-240V#
Air driven will be quieter except for when the compessor kicks in ! I have used them but prefer electric ones.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that UK is bang on target with his advice, and I'll explain my reasoning.

If you had asked the same question a few months ago, I would have answered get something like a 'blue' Bosch grinder. Then, in the middle of a job, mine broke whilst still under guarantee. I took it back, and had to leave it in for repair. Expected return time, 6-8 weeks. Being in the middle of a job, I went to a discount store, and bought the cheapest I could find. Took it home, and started the job again. It went bang! So, I returned it. The difference this time was that I got a replacement over the counter, no waiting for repairs. This one finished the job, and I am still using it, for every tough job I get. In spite of the fact that I have the Bosch back.

Dont forget that a 125mm Air Grinder will also use upwards of 350liters/ minute of air at 6 bars. Which might mean a bigger compressor for some people. The one grinding tool I wouldnt be without though is my 3" air driven Die Grinder...
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I started the Sprite restoration I bought an angle grinder from Homebase for under £20. complete with spare brushes and guarantee. Anyone who has seen the thread of my restoration will know the amount of cutting and grinding needed. On top of that I cleaned the rust off of 40 feet of 100 (plus)year old railings, that had been buried for decades, to prepare them for painting.
The grinder is still working perfectly and shows no signs of wear.

Cheap Chinese junk ? not in this case...

Don.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, cheapo isn't always bad, my a/g was a cheapie and has done good service. So in practice there isn't much to choose between an eleccy one, and an air powered one? being quieter (sans compressor kicking in) is a useful benefit with the latter option I suppose

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
andycars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the "invasive" noise from use of a grinder comes from the action of the disc on metal, which I would expect to be little different for either type. I've no experience of air-driven grinders but wonder how the torque and speed (and yes, possibly noise, as a result) differs from an electrically powered machine? If speed was compromised, then so would efficiency, I would imagine. Question
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

For an angle grinder go electric, and cheap, if it lasts a year, you ahve a good deal, if you spend 10 times what a cheap one is, it probably won't last 10 times longer. You can get them for under £10 if you shop around, and you will get a 12mont waranty, so £10 will last you at least a year. That is with hard use, but ocasional use will last much longer.

With air, you have to go big in my oppinion, then you need a big compressor, or have it pumping alot, very noisy, unless you have a silent one! ££££

Noise wise, disposible ear plugs at this time of year, so you can wear your hat comfortably, ear defenders get in the way of my wooly hat!

Die grinders like UJ said is different and an air one is the best way forward, in my oppinion.

Cheers

Dave Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick the other disadvantage with an air grinder is when you need it to do a job in the house or garden, you need enough air hose, far simpler with a reel of extension cable.

I have a Dewalt and Makita 4 1/2 " grinders, bought them about 10 years ago because the cheap ones around then were a bit rough, if I was buying today it would be a cheap one no question.

Dave
The_ Yellow_Ardvark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Angle Grinder Reply with quote

Having had a few 4 1/2" and 9" beasties the best advive is buy teh best you can afford. Snap on ones are good but why pay that much?
ScrewFix and places like that do good ones as do must DIY Stores.

Buy one with an M14 thread, fixed plug and about 2meters of flex. Don't be tempted to remove the guard.
You are softer than anything else around the grinder.
Oh yes buy teh correct safty gear. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: