classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Improvements and new stuff on oldclassiccar!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Improvements and new stuff on oldclassiccar! Reply with quote

Hi

I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to include on the main website.

Does anyone out there have useful suggestions for articles, new sections, features etc that would be a useful and interesting addition to the site?

I'm not asking you to actually create or write this new stuff (although all contributions welcomed, hint hint) but just the seeds of fresh ideas would be great.

Rgds
Rick
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Improvements and new stuff on oldclassiccar! Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Hi

I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to include on the main website.

Does anyone out there have useful suggestions for articles, new sections, features etc that would be a useful and interesting addition to the site?

I'm not asking you to actually create or write this new stuff (although all contributions welcomed, hint hint) but just the seeds of fresh ideas would be great.

Rgds
Rick

Rick,

I'm into car audio ( no not the boom boom street bass of the 17 yr olds but SQ audio and as part of that the sound damping is very important. Recently there has been massive strides forward in technology for this so if you are interested i can give it a shot on sound proofing a car etc.

Alan
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chimp, thanks for the offer - probably the best place to put it would be on the thread about audio on the forum, as thats where most of the info re classics and car radios has been mentioned so far

cheers, Rick
Smile
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, one thing that I would like to see on the main site is that some of the sections lead to more detailed information possibly with a bit more of an international flavour now that we have forum members from all over the place.

One idea. What are the differences between Classic motoring in the different countries?

UJ
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ

I could put a section on the main site relating to classic motoring in different countries, so long as there was enough info to put in there. The worst thing that can happen is to set up a section then have nothing, or not enough, to go in. It'd need 3 or 4 country contributions (other than UK!) at least I think to make setting up a dedicated section worthwhile...thoughts?

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

What we could do is start a topic on the forum, by asking specific questions, and see if it gets any responses from the various countries that are represented, and then later compile the information for an article on the main site. Hopefully we can also get a longer discussion going as well. Could be useful for people that may be planning to take their classic abroad.

I suppose it could also be extended to include things like how it is to restore in the various places, advantages/disadvantages and so on. For example, every private house here has access to 3-phase electricity in the fusebox, which means that it is possible to buy and use more professional tools, and so on.

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

I think the forum is great and is growing; containing a wealth of information, but it can get lost in the “threads “of time.
For example a couple of weeks ago you asked about setting up an SU carb, and UJ posted the instructions, those instructions will be of great use to anyone setting up an SU especially as the instructions have some “real experience” not just a text book description. I’d be happy to do some stuff, like setting up a voltage control box, or using a Crypton tuner, body soldering , I’m sure if you posted the question there would be loads of expert advice.
So maybe a section in the main site "tips and ref material" and as useful things come up in posts add it to the list.

The other thing I would be tempted to do is promote the forum more prominently on the main site, I saw the site over a year ago clicked on a couple of things (missed the forum) but really didn’t have a reason to come back until I got on to the forum directly whilst googling for something and it took me straight there.

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UKD

Thanks for the feedback, all very useful.

I have this newish (small) section on the site, which would be ideal for hosting key information that could be lifted from the forum as you suggest:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/lookafter.htm

The SU information could go in a dedicated page there for instance, with perhaps a fixed link from a 'Reference' category in the forum over to it, as well as the usual navigation on the site.

Sometimes gathering the useful info from many different posts into one easily-readable article is tricky.

If you're willing to pen a few other articles, that'd be great and I'll add them to the main site section.

As for plugging the forum, I re-did the header on every page of the site to include a reference to the forum a while back, but perhaps I need to make it even more prominent. It certainly picked up a bit when I made this alteration, so perhaps another tweak is required to further improve its visibility

thanks again
Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, thanks for the complement, its appreciated. I've got the feeling that you and I are allies in restoration! Very Happy

The suggestion that you made about a Body Soldering is a good one. I dont think that there are so many on the forum that can do it. Apart from you and I, and possibly the Americans, I think that most others are newbies at this.

Funny thing is, I thought that I was good at this until I saw a Mexican body soldering on TV the other night!

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the mexicans are good?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, I recorded the guy working, and even after having seen the tape a couple of times, cannot believe it. He was laying the solder and smoothing it with the paddle in one operation. Shocked

How difficult is this? Well, let me put it this way. If I had a daughter, there is no way I would ever let her go out with him. The guy has too many hands. Laughing
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he!! Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many would be interested in an article about trimming interiors?

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am willing to read any articles and learn as much as posible as you know! I like to have a go and learn through tryinging!

Cheers

Dave

P.S... How is your book coming allong UJ?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy, the books progressing, but slowly as usual. I have asked a friend to help me with the text a bit though, I want to inject a bit of humour so its not to boring.... my sense of humour is very strange to say the least!

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: