classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Improvements and new stuff on oldclassiccar!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
How many would be interested in an article about trimming interiors?

UJ

I'd certainly be interested in anything to do with the restoration of cars etc. s a newbie I'm doing it all by trial and error and a lot of notes and photographs. Eventually this will be in some form of a note book / manual but it's only for a jag at the moment.

I'm a long way off re trimming but any article would be put to good use in the future 18 months or so.

Take care,

Alan
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimpchoker, I'll be making a lot of mistakes doing the interior, as it will be the first complete one that I have ever done. But we can only learn by mistakes...

Regarding your Jag, as you are a newbie to all this, there is one thing that I would suggest you do if possible. Do the minimum that you need to get it roadworthy BEFORE you start the restoration proper!

Bet that gets some comments!

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Buzzy, the books progressing, but slowly as usual. I have asked a friend to help me with the text a bit though, I want to inject a bit of humour so its not to boring.... my sense of humour is very strange to say the least!

UJ

Sounds good!

I know that feeling, I burst into laughter when no one else even breaks a smile and my jokes don't do anything for anyone!

Cheers

Dave
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
chimpchoker, I'll be making a lot of mistakes doing the interior, as it will be the first complete one that I have ever done. But we can only learn by mistakes...

Regarding your Jag, as you are a newbie to all this, there is one thing that I would suggest you do if possible. Do the minimum that you need to get it roadworthy BEFORE you start the restoration proper!

Bet that gets some comments!

UJ

Well I'll start the comments off for you Uncle Joe...... I bought it as a complete strip down project. Every nut and bolt, every wire, every bit of it all is being stripped out, catalogued, photographed and written about. It's then getting bubble wrapped and put in my spare bedroom and front living room...My wife is a good lass really....eventually it will all be put all back together again in the next 18 months or so. On the rebuild all parts will be either refurbished or renewed as I go along. One thing for sure will be conversion to neg earth and a new alternator and wireing loom with plenty of spare offtakes for the hifi and sat nav etc. I'm starting with some welding including the front girder bit thingy, the jacking points, a couple of door skins and both inner and outer sills... then the strip and dip with maybe some more welding after that.

The brakes will be totally upgraded using vented discs and multi pot calipers, SS exhaust and the engine might get tweaked a little bit.....just a little.... depending on what is found when it's stripped down as it hasn't ran for 8 years and it doesn't turn over by the crank nut.

fter the strip and dip is complete there will be the new paint job but I'll leave that for a pro to do. As for the rest I mean how difficult can it be ????? I've never welded, done auto electrics or engine rebuilding ( come to think of it I might pro this job also).

It's only a big jigsaw really and if I take loads of photos and explinations, drink loads of tea then the way I see it is that it can't be that bad........can it??

Oh and before you sugest I wait and reconsider........there's only the engine and running gear left to pull out and it's ready to dip...hee, hee....

( Whoever said there was a thin line between sanity and insanity???)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: