classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rust prevention
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Melz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Rust prevention Reply with quote

I have a 1975 Ford Falcon that was renowned for rust, so I had all the rust removed and rewelded new panels to replace them. Then I painted fishoil on pretty much everything. Now my car smells like an aquarium... hahaha

What do you all use to prevent rust?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one mixture I sometimes use to spray over the underside of a car, is a mix of old engine oil and drop of old (ie drained off) fuel. It seems to mix quite nicely, the old fuel helps the oil creep into the nooks and crannies then evaporates, leaving a nice oily film on the chassis, without being a gloopy mess - which I think using just oil might leave behind. Things like Waxoyl and Dinitrol are probably more long-term, but a combination of all the above usually does the trick Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the Devon, which I use most of the time, I 'winterised' it a bit the other day. The hubcaps are prone to start rusting with the cr*p that the council spread on the road, so I removed them, cleaned them up and left a film of proper old wax on them. They can stay on the shelf for now until the weather improves. The chrome on the car also now has a film of proper wax (dated 1952) on it, to ward off corrosion etc during the winter months

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You even use period wax eh? Laughing

I use waxoyl applied by the pressurised tin/applicator method, during last years winter I coated my Standard Vanguard liberally underneath AND over the upper surfaces, paintwork, hubcaps and chrome.

After a few days use the car looked dull awful as the wax catches road dirt and gives a 'filthy' appearance but I persevered and was rewarded in spring when a good wash with hot water revealed a still perfectly gleaming vehicle - it works!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just grease chrome, looks mess but protects well.

Don't worry more wax on its way, just finding a supplier of a high grade wax to add to my beeswax, should be good when it is done. I have a few recipes, so we will have to see which is best!

Cheers

Dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told never to use grease on chrome as it is a petroleum derivative and can tarnish it over time. I don't know whether that's true or not?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Hmm not heard that one before, it hasn't hurt my chrome, but sounds like it could be true!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard that one myself either.

I'm not sure that its true though. Thinking about things, dont most chrome polishes have some kind of oil base? I'm thinking about things like Solvol, and one of my favourites, Duraglit (Nevrdull in the US)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly but aren't they to remove a slight amount of surface?

Think of polishing alloy with Duraglit...have you ever finished up with a clean wad no matter how much you polish! Laughing

As a protective coating wax polish may have some additive to help it spread but that evaporates quickly.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean wad after alloy? Never! There is a reason for that though, someone told me a while ago but I've forgotten. Maybe someone can enlighten us!

What I've been doing with chrome is polishing it with Duraglit, then using a hard wax afterwards. Seems to work a treat.

I've started using Wipes as well. Do you have them over there?
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are really dedicated... I used to use Brillo pads on rusted or tarnished chrome but I think maybe the quality of the chrome and the type of metal underneath determines how much damage you do.

I have had a rule throughout my motoring life: Wash and polish a car at least every six months... whether it needs it or not. Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have another rule. I'd do the spannering, and the other half could do the washing and waxing! Laughing
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wash and polish a car at least every six months... whether it needs it or not."

I must have bought some of your old cast off cars at some point then Pigtin! Laughing
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by Waxoyl, but it has to be the clear stuff, not the black, black I find makes an incredable mess.

And the bonus with Waxoyl is - it keeps your hands really soft to the touch! Embarassed
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
"Wash and polish a car at least every six months... whether it needs it or not."

I must have bought some of your old cast off cars at some point then Pigtin! Laughing

Cast off? You must have bought them from a breakers. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: