classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Radials and Crossplies.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Radials and Crossplies. Reply with quote

Can someone correct me if I am incorrect here?

Back in the 60's, crossply tyres used to be designated in inch sizes, eg 6.00 x 13. Radials used to be given Metric sizes, eg 155 x 13. Is that correct?

Also, is a 155 Radial the equivalent of a 6.00 crossply?

When US cars had factory radial tyre options, part of the package was stiffer suspension, to compensate for the softer radial tyre sidewalls. More out of curiousity than anything else, was it the same with british cars?
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the american market cars suspension was different, not for any technical reason though as it was just about feel, the radials had a bouncy feel and the yanks god bless them didnt like it. vehicles also became lighter due to the advancment of the radial tyre as the tyres no longer needed the weight for stability and steering loads
http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/help.php will give you an insight of tyre sizes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did american cars have suspension in the 60's ? Wink
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They positively wallowed i think Twisted Evil

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another urban myth to discuss.

Yes, by our standards, US cars did wallow. But americans preferred comfort to handling. Try one that is fitted with the optional heavy duty suspension package, and you will soon see that they will outhandle any british car of similar size and weight....

One of the reasons that I enjoy my 300 is the fact that it is fitted with the letter series suspension option. ie, from the factory lowered and stiffened with heavy duty shocks....handles beautifully, even though you lot probably wont believe me! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I do believe you if you say UJ, I must say the limited experience I have had with US cars is that my dad had a valiant for about a year, so I cant offer much in the way of an argument Surprised

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that there would have been a better comment than that.... Laughing

So its time to add a little spice...On March 24th, 1970, an american 5 passenger car became the first car ever to lap a closed circuit at an average speed of over 200mph...I believe it actually covered 4 laps over the magic 200 mark...any car that fast must handle.... Laughing

The same car a year earlier was timed at 243mph...is that a record for a 5 passenger car?
richard2509

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
I thought that there would have been a better comment than that.... Laughing

So its time to add a little spice...On March 24th, 1970, an american 5 passenger car became the first car ever to lap a closed circuit at an average speed of over 200mph...I believe it actually covered 4 laps over the magic 200 mark...any car that fast must handle.... Laughing

The same car a year earlier was timed at 243mph...is that a record for a 5 passenger car?

yes...but did it have to fill up with fuel on every lap??? Laughing Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it didnt need fuel, what it did need was a new set of tyres every 5 laps or so.... Laughing

Does anyone know how this compares with F1 or Endurance (Le Mans)cars of the same era?
stuchamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Yet another urban myth to discuss.

Yes, by our standards, US cars did wallow. But americans preferred comfort to handling. Try one that is fitted with the optional heavy duty suspension package, and you will soon see that they will outhandle any british car of similar size and weight....

One of the reasons that I enjoy my 300 is the fact that it is fitted with the letter series suspension option. ie, from the factory lowered and stiffened with heavy duty shocks....handles beautifully, even though you lot probably wont believe me! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I like that term wallow! Yep, they wallowed just like an old barge on the river. Laughing
Most American cars had standard suspension, but you could get heavy duty options that included heavier springs, shocks, (front & rear) and most important, stabilizer or anti-roll bars for both the front and rear. Before radials, lower profile and wider polyglass tires were popular. Later came quick ratio steering boxes and then rack & pinion.
Myself, I hate cars that float. I want to feel and drive the car with my butt! Laughing

Sorry UJ, but comparing a Nascar race car to a stock 5-passenger vehicle is like night & day. Totally different animal altogether even back in the 60's & 70's.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuchamp, I couldnt agree more with your comments. The point that I was trying to make was that american cars CAN be made to handle, as well as go a wee bit faster than a Mini....Its just that at that time, I think americans put more value in comfortable cars.
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on UJ - isn't it time you gave up trying to defend the gas-guzzling, wallowing, space wasting, US iron that you support?

I thought I was a lone voice but now UkDave, Greeney and Richard have joined me.

The 243mph car was undoubtedly running on a highly banked track - the only way the Americans have found to keep their cars on a race track.

As you and Stuchamp have admitted, the only way to get a Yank to handle is to fit suspension and steering items that are copies of what was totally standard on UK and European cars at the time.
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you like, I love my 'Merican trucks.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!!! Shocked Laughing
We are talking mainly about cars from the 60's, correct?
Steel belted radial tires weren't considered standard on all the "Yank Tanks" until 1982. They were first optional in 1973. I remember the early radials weren't very good and didn't really improve until the late 70's.

High banked tracks?
Please look up the SCCA Trans-Am Series that began in 1966. Ford Mustangs, Chevy Camaro's, (Pony Cars) etc, that raced road courses and did it well. Smile

Post edited due to poor memory! Rolling Eyes Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I get the feeling that BrianM doesnt like american cars, and Mopars in particular? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: