classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Headlamp deflectors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Headlamp deflectors. Reply with quote

We're off to France in a few weeks time. The idea is to visit a Chocolate Factory and then infest the caves at Arras. I've never bothered with headlamp deflectors/converters before but someone told me they're getting hot on checks now.
Anyone know if we should bother, and if so what may be required? I think the group all have similar headlights: a TR2, MGB, Mk4 Sprite and Morris Minor.
Although we don't intend to drive in the dark, that may not be a consideration. Confused
Don.
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would fit deflectors.........I think you need to carry spare bulbs, triangle and I think a first aid kit. Just Google driving in France. You should get all the info you need.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is my bit if I ever saw it Cool
I write for the Citroen car club every month about "french stuff" and have just done this.
You will need a triangle, hiviz and spare set of lights and yes they are getting hot on headlamps, its a revenue thing now and its a category 4 fine 135€ Shocked
You cannot use black tape either it has to be the proper beam deflectors material available from Halfords or the ferry just follow the instructions.

Something to remember while driving if you get a STOP junction come to a complete stop do not treat it like a give way, the gendarmes are very hot on this in towns and villages that is a 90€ fine and 4points... and yes they will contact the DVLA and do it through them foreign vehicle alliance throughout the EU has seen to that Rolling Eyes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney, Isn't there some strange rule about vehicles emerging from side roads and you have to give way........or did I dream that?
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed yes vehicles coming from the right have the right of way UNLESS otherwise stated like the term "cedez le passage" (give way) or good old "Stop" This confused the French for a while when roundabouts first got to be used here (not long ago either) as they thought they had the right of way entering the roundabout... Ooops
If you get flashed too by vehicles coming toward you dont panic.. well much anyway, it means the gendarmes are prowling somewhere.
Talking of chocolate factories there is a great on just outside Limoges with a fountain where you can just help yourself Rolling Eyes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Greeney and DH for your advice, I shall certainly take it Very Happy

Don.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you driving then?
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing very old by my standards Buzzy. A 1969 Mk4 Austin Healey Sprite.
The 10/4 wouldn't keep up with the rest and the A7 Special would be just too terrifying. Shocked
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still better than a modern! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: