classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Long overdue jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Long overdue jobs. Reply with quote

The sun is shining so I dragged my aching old bones out to the garage to do a couple of long overdue jobs.
I now have the correct distributor for the Sprite, one with the wires coming out of the side rather than the top and rubbing the steering shaft.

It’s a good time to change the starter, as it’s impossible to remove it without removing the distributor first.

Jacked to car up about 18” at the front and water ran out of the bodywork. It’ three days since the car was in the rain so it must have developed camel-like tendencies for storing water… bodes ill for it’s future.

Fitted an almost new disc-commutator type starter. Anyone know if these are better than the earlier barrel commutator ones? After finding the distributor leads were 180% out to the old one I moved them and it started beautifully and, when driving, seems to have another 10bhp at least; with any luck a better fuel consumption as well.

Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. I know what it feels like to get moving. But you have inspired me, I off out to the garage. Laughing
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm knackered now, but the wine at dinner might have contributed.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew it was a mistake to go out to the garage in the first place. Apart from the water running out of my Sprite I saw some damp in my wifes "painting studio," which is a lean-to on the back of the garage. Risking life-and-limb I climbed up a stepladder and found a great strip of felt torn off by the wind.
It seems once one job is done, another always takes it's place. Crying or Very sad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Long overdue jobs. Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
... Jacked to car up about 18” at the front and water ran out of the bodywork. It’ three days since the car was in the rain so it must have developed camel-like tendencies for storing water… bodes ill for it’s future ...

reminds me of our first MX5, we had a weld repair done to the back end of the sill (a common grotspot) for the MOT, the downside of this repair was the inadvertent blockage of a drain hole however. After a few weeks had passed we noticed a distinctly tidal swooshing sound every time we came to a halt. We sold the car shortly after, although by then I had drilled fresh drainage holes to let the mobile aquarium empty itself

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could also go in the workshop disasters thread.

Many years ago a friend had replaced the cills on his Standard Ten, and then got the sloshing noise when braking and realised he hadn't created drain holes in the new cills.

He put both ends of the car up on axle stands and started to drill suitable holes. He just managed to let go of the drill when the first hole released the water straight into the drill!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: