classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Horn Push 1967 Midget
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
eddie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Horn Push 1967 Midget Reply with quote

Well I have only just joined and here I am again. My 67 Midget has a rocker switch on the dash to sound the horn which I think is bxxxxy stupid the car is fitted with a moto lite alloy wheel. Can anyone tell me how to get two wires up the centre of the steering columm because i cannot for the life of me find any access point to feed the wires through !!
Help.
Eddie
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, normally the steering box and colum has a hole right through it, does this one not?

Cheers

Dave

P.S... Welcome from me if I haven't already said. Very Happy
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it has a replacement column at some time
eddie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Horn Push 1967 Midget Reply with quote

Hi Mate,
I can't see a hole where a wire could come out of. I have tried pushing a wire down the centre of column but just appears to reach the end of the tube with no way of coming out.
Eddie
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you'll find it's picked up in the nacelle, close to the steering boss, for some reason they stop working due to the return being through the steering column bushes, I put the problem, with mine, down to the car having been standing for years and hardened grease in the bushes was providing unwanted insulation. I looked for hours for that non existent wire down the column and eventually fitted a push button to the nacelle.

I intend to try the original connections again, as having done about 6K miles since the restoration the column bushes might be conducting again.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can you not vey gently warm the bushes, not hot, but to melt/soften any hardened grease?

Cheers

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think of that Buzzy, but then it was only a theory I formulated after fitting an alternative horn push, and it is 'orribly cramped in the engine compartment. I believe it is a common problem on the Spridget and regular use may be the cure. I'll go out and check the grounding of the steering on mine in the morning and report back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: