classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

sewing roofing vinyl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
NLWim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: sewing roofing vinyl Reply with quote

I have to renew the roofing of my 1947 Riley RMA. New material is available, however not in the proper width, so parts have to be sewed together. Can anyone help me with some hints how to do the sewing and how to get it waterproof??
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy ready sewn roof kits from Riley clubs: The Riley Motor Club or Riley RM Club. No need to do any sewing and you may also find instructions on how to fit.

I've seen quite a few RMs that have had these kits fitted, they look OK to me.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting to hear of your project NLWim, is the roof structure underneath the vinyl ok?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
NLWim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, the roof structure is O.K., the perforated metal was a bit rusty and I had to weld new edges to the front side. The Riley Motor Club could provide a roofing kit but had no chance shipping the dripmoulding. I found a supplier in Belgium, only 150 kms driving from where I live, who had everything I need at a fair price. The roofing kit the club supplies has two seams, there must be somebody who knows how to sew the strips watertight together?
(I tried to post a photo, unsuccesfully)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just seen this post, but theres no need to think about sealing the seam. The correct way to do things is to refinish the roof properly, ie as you would the rest of the bodywork, and then use the correct adhesive..
NLWim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Only just seen this post, but theres no need to think about sealing the seam. The correct way to do things is to refinish the roof properly, ie as you would the rest of the bodywork, and then use the correct adhesive..

I had the vinyl sewed at a local Taylor, using the old vinyl as sample. He made a good job and used the correct adhesive. I'm now trying to put the new roof on the car. Stretching the material around the back sides is the toughest job!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros have a special tool that helps with that, or you can use a hair drier.

Is the job completed now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: