classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

More Tricks with Petrol
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: More Tricks with Petrol Reply with quote

I just read a letter in the SS Register News that will appeal to everyone who finds fuel costs biting.

The letter, written by someone with knowledge of fuels for both motoring and aviation, gives a few interesting tips for filling up at the pumps:

1. Petrol expands significantly when warm so only fill up first thing in the morning before the sun has had time to increase the volume in the underground storage tanks. Petrol pumps take no account of temperature.

2. Do not deliver the petrol to your car at maximum pump speed. All pump hoses have a vapour return and if pumping at high speed more of the fuel
is vapourised and returns rather than reaching your tank.

3. Petrol vapourises very easily so keep your tank well topped up to minimise the air space and thus reduce the effect. Apparently the storage tanks have a floating ceiling to alleviate this problem for the filling stations.

Peter Rolling Eyes
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only will keeping the tank topped up stop the petrol from evaporating as quickly, it will inhibit the formation of condensation which sours petrol and forms rust, two byproducts we can do without.
of course, keeping the tank topped up creates other problems; finding the cash to do it, and keeping the petrol once you've bought it! thieves are cunning little b@st@rds and there's not much can be done to effectively stop them.
Mog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told or read, never set the fuel pump on a set amount. You will always be short changed in the fuel you get.
Scotty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "keeping the tank full" debate has always makes me wonder as to the benefits against the down-side. Whilst not disagreeing with those who advocate the full tank view, how much extra does it cost carrying "unused fuel" around?

If you consider a gallon of fuel probably weighs (very roughly) 10 lbs / 4.5 kg and if your tank holds for example 10 gallons / 45 litres, then keeping it only half full would save you lugging around 50 lbs / 22.7 kgs of unnecessary weight.

Now I realise that for many of us who only use our classic on an occasional basis this isn't going to make much of a difference (but a difference nevertheless), however if the full tank view was accepted into the general motoring public could it make a significant difference?

Food for thought?
62rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the weight offset would not equal the risk of damage from condensation IMHO. nor would it offset the inconvenience of running out.
xkjag-nz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or of course the fannying around sitting waiting at petrol stations while the dipsh£* in front of you decides to do their weekly shop in the service station shop

petrol is now 85p a litre here ----- shocking
Mog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove water from your petrol tank, add some methylated spirits. I suggest an egg cup full to a tank full. I have done a lab. test using test tubes and it does work.
Mog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to Peter Scott, I doubt that the sun will have very, very little effect on an underground tank. From winter to summer, yes, day by day, no.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mog,

What's the principle behind the meths to remove water?

Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Petrol Tricks Reply with quote

Peter,

They sell it in the States as 'Gas line anti-freeze' but I think it's called Methyl Hydrate. Is that different from Methylated spirits?

Art Smile [/quote]
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,

But how does it remove the water?

Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Petrol Tricks Reply with quote

Peter,

I don't know but it works (absorbtion?). I spent 13 years in Canada and most people put it in their tanks during the winter. It works with diesel too.
We need a chemists opinion.

Art Smile
zandycap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol Tricks Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Peter,

They sell it in the States as 'Gas line anti-freeze' but I think it's called Methyl Hydrate. Is that different from Methylated spirits?

Art Smile
[/quote]

Isn't methyl hydrate just another name for methanol ?

Methanol, is also known as methyl alcohol, carbinol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits.

Not to be confused with Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol

And we get Methylated spirits from Denatured alcohol ie: ethanol which has been rendered toxic or otherwise undrinkable, and in some cases given a red or purple dye. It is used for purposes such as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves, and as a solvent. Traditionally, the main additive was 10% methanol, which gave rise to methylated spirits

Last edited by zandycap on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear as mud Embarassed

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
zandycap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney in France wrote:
Clear as mud Embarassed

yes i quite agree. ill start again ill cut and paste the main stuff so i dont mix up all those similar names.

It is clearer now i have edited it (i hope)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: