classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

battery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rustynail

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

Hello
I have a wolseley 680 it hasnt been going for probably 30 years i checked the oil water etc i put the battery in it wouldnt turn over then i noticed the generator was getting very very hot slight smoke i quickly pulled battery leads off went and got manual it said it must be positive earth i couldn,t work out how you can put the earth strap on the positive on the battery and neg on the positive how does it work
Rustynail
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty,

It sounds like your cut-out contacts are welded shut. Try starting it with the generator leads disconnected.

HTH

Peter

p.s. Wouldn't have thought it was a polarity issue, or when you say generator do you mean alternator? That might be different.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ve and -ve battery post are usually of a different size to prevent you putting the battery on the wrong way.

For the generator to be getting hot you must be cooking the field winding, did it get hot when you were turning the car over with the starter motor, or as soon as you connected the battery up?

Regarding +ve earth in general, DC (the sort of voltage batteries produce) is about potential difference (voltage) so on a +ve earth car if you think of the earth as 0v then the other side of the battery is -12v rather than the +12v it would be on a -ve earth car. headlamps or starter motors don't care if they get +12v or -12v, they will work the same. Electronic stuff like radio's do mind, so need care when wiring in, smaller fixed magnet motors will work but turn in different directions.

Hope this helps Smile

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: