classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Help Me Choose the right Vintage Car :))
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

There's clearly nothing scary about faded paintwork or lack of carpets. The scary aspects are those that would cost a lot to rectify if you had to pay someone else to do the work for you.

Your question about assessing why the seller is disposing of his/her car is an interesting one. Sometimes it's pretty obvious from what they say has been done recently that they have just lost confidence that the car isn't going to need yet another £400 bill within the year. It's probably best to ignore the reasons given for sale and just assess the car by inspection and test drive.

Whilst I selected a car from eBay as a better example I'm not sure I would ever buy one just based on a description and a set of photos. Cars ALWAYS look much better in photos than in the flesh and a very major part of assessing cars is by ear and feel. So unless you are buying a complete non-running wreck then always go and test drive before bidding.

Peter
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griff, the 116 series merc did about 20mpg overall, the 230 about the same and the 190 about 25. You will not get a merc anywhere near as economical as your 1300 VW. At current fuel prices, it costs me £85 to fill my 126 series.

Yes you can get a scruffy car with a heart of gold. When I bought my Minor 5 years ago she was a solid as a rock but scruffy as anything as someone had done a crap paint job on her. I used her like that for 3 years. She has now had a bare metal respray and looks as good as any other Minor.
GRiFF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PeppiB,

No, I realise I wont enjoy the same economy or anything like it but I would like to avoid particularly heavy hitters.
Would a diesel be better do you think?

Ordinarily if I thought I was going to be on the road night and day I'd definitely not be bothering with this idea, as it is I think for the mileage I do I am prepared to up my fuel budget. I dont want to spend more than £25 per week - I'll probably do 400 - 500 miles in a busy month.

Whats your fuel-miles-bill like?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this topic, so now its time to add my two penn'orth.

The thing is, if you have decided that a Mercedes is the car for you, then thats the car to go for. Really, theres nothing that I or any others should do to dissuade.

But, and isnt there always, my own personal opinions would say look for something like a Valiant with the slant 6 engine. If you want a shabby car with a heart, thats the one to go for. Motorwise, the things are unbreakable, the 727 gearbox is the same, and, you will get better mileage than you would expect, I know quite a few owners that are getting from 25 to 30+...and if anyone doesnt believe that last statement, have a little trawl...
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
my own personal opinions would say look for something like a Valiant

LHD ?? Not a big problem unless you pass through tolls regularly. Confused

Peter
GRiFF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valiant

Is there a good photo of one of these anywhere?

UJ you get me on the shabby chic thing then?

How much for a good runner with MOT - and are there RHD models?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Google A Body Mopar or try this link.

http://www.valiant.org/images/images.html
GRiFF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the 1962 South African car was RHD, so these are possible to find?
They look - incredible, but I cant help thinking, expensive to buy, difficult to find?

Am I right?

Thanks!
J
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt worry about looking for a rhd car, as others on here will tell you, its no problem with lhd...

They shouldnt be to difficult to find, there are plenty about. It could possibly even be a smart move to buy one in the US and do your own import...
Mog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of rhd Valiants in Australia, very cheap....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: