classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

troubleshooting a Piranha ignition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
62rebel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: troubleshooting a Piranha ignition Reply with quote

the Spit i recently obtained is fitted with a Piranha electronic ignition, and from what i gather these chaps have gone out of business. what would be a troubleshooting method for locating and correcting a fault, or should i pony up for a new setup entirely?

and forgive me for blatant stupidity, but would a standard points-type distributor work on the 1500cc engine and which donor cars should i look for if so?
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not hugely knowledgeable on the spit although I rebuilt my sister in laws for her Embarassed
I think the early spits had Delco Remi and the later was a Lucas set up but you would have to make sure the advance curve was correct so try and get the original part number!
I have used a system called 123ignition on 4 cars so far with great results, even the 2CV and it makes so much difference they arent cheap (what is?) but in my mind are the best, it is a complete replacement ditributor with all the gubbins inside so no extra box
http://www.spitbitz.co.uk/ ok for secondhand parts
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ new parts
http://www.123ignition.nl/downloads/folder/123ignition-Folder-LQ.pdf
Thats a PDF so you will need a reader on the computor

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 62Rebel

The Spit would have originally had points, the Piranha would have been an after market add on which replace the points with an electronic sensor, and if I remember had a separate box with the power circuitry that triggered the coil.

In terms of tracing faults;

• The air gap on the sensor in the dizzy should be about .00020" you will have to google to get the exact spec, it could be + or - .0010"?
• If you put a volt meter on the coil and turn the engine by hand you should see the voltage go on and off much as you would expect with standard points.
• If you have access to a scope you should see if the sensor is producing a squareish wave output.

So I guess your options are if still doesn’t work;
1. Put a set of points and condenser back and run as original
2. Replace with another electronic system, the 123 that Greeney uses are good as you replace the whole distributor with a new one, so will also be addressing any other problems the dizzy may have like shaft wear or sticky advance weights, the only thing to look out for is if your spit has a mechanical rev counter driven from the dizzy, the 123 wont drive it.

If the dizzy is in sound mechanical shape, and you want to maintain electronic ignition I would use the Petronix system, it’s a fraction of the price of the 123 and all fits in the dizzy, very quick to fit, I use one in my Stag.

The main advantage of keeping the electronic system is that it allows you increase the dwell a bit and to open the spark plug gap up, with the assosiated benifits.

Dave
62rebel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, given that i'm removing the powertrain from the donor car, getting it running can wait. i'm going to replace the Piranha but i will keep it as i'm unsure whether or not it works. at least a new pertronix will have a warranty and have spares available!
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had a piranha ignition on my suzuki gs1000. It was an optical type. It parted company with the bike on the side of the Blackwall Tunnel. That stopped it working.

Nic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: