classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Air conditioning R12 to R134a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
59daddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Air conditioning R12 to R134a Reply with quote

Hi,
daft as it may seem to some I would like to get my a/c up and running for when we do get hot days. Its an R12 system but I dont think you can legally get R12 any more so I intended to convert to R134a gas, fit adapters , vacuum out system and refill , using the services of a proper a/c company.
some advice is not to convert. what are others thoughts or experiences good or bad ? have you been ripped off? what about DIY kits?what about buying R12 from China via ebay? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
many thanks i appreciate any feedback in advance.
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do this requires a new receiver dryer and expansion valve along with new oil and fitting kit.

How much are the kits?
xkjag-nz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi matey
been a fridge engineer as part of my job on board ships for the past 30 odd years
it is not as simple as just changing the gas
you have to change oil,seals,vac down and dispose properly of fridge gas (huge fines if u dont)
R22 is still available its just not manufactured anymore
try contacting one of the recovery places as you can still buy it if it has been recovered (ie BOC,etc)
one place to try is HMS Sultan the royal navy engineering school as ships still use R22 in some machinery
when I worked there we used to repair cars fridge systems on the cheap (ie a donation to the tea boat) you'll have to try yellow pages/dir enquiries for the no but when you get it ask for Morrell Block extension 2075, even if u have to travel a few miles we used to do it for about 40-50 quid (as opposed to 2-300 on my jag at the time---mind u i dont know if they still do it, but worth a try
59daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for input 47p2 and xkjag-nz something to think about.
kits are about £60 including adapters, gauge and 3 tins of gas, but Ill need afew more tins 4.5lbs in total to be exact
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: