classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Damper/Dynamic balancer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
matilar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Damper/Dynamic balancer Reply with quote

The 1951 Daimler Consort I am working on is fitted with Fluid fly wheel - preselector gearbox. Consequently the engine has a Dynamic balancer/Damper at the front end. The rubber on the balancer has aged and the pully and damper have seperated out.
My questions are:
1. Can this be joined back/fixed using new raw rubber and vulcanizing in sitiu ?
2. Are there any other methods to fix this ?
It is difficult to get this part(287877) more so, in India.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: damper rubber Reply with quote

Hello Matilar it may be worth checking daimler clubs on that one they normally know the manufacturers of these specific parts others would have had the same problems.check the web i am interested in your findings as would like to know what glues are best to bond rubber to steel as in car mounts i suspect that is the case but like you havent really tried it out.I have approached companys to make up rubber mounts for other old cars normally it is just a case of taking in your old ones and getting them remade because it is bonded to steel it will be glued it may be vulcanised if there are threaded bolts imbedded in the rubber and then held until dry just a matter of getting the right glues even modern clutch plates are glued on these days rather than riveted and car panels are stuck on with adhesive as strong as a weld believe it or not.Am interested in hearing from others who have ideas or repairing engine or gearbox mounts what glues have stuck the rubber to steel.The other option is that you may be able to adapt another similar modern mount that could be picked up from your local repco or automotive outlet.They are only there to supress vibration.
Standardsteve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same lines as the above problem, the wiper motor on my 1949 P3 Rover is mounted on 3 very thin (flat) "Bobbins" like the old mini exhaust bobbins but smaller, these screw into the bottom of the wiper motor (Witworth thread) and bolt to a plate above the fuze box/regulator. Needless to say thay have fallen to bits after 57 years and the motor is held in place with a cable tie. I've tried every glue on the market with so far no luck so if any one has any ideas I would be glad of the help. Regards Steve
rustyreks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: wiper mounting rubbers Reply with quote

Steve i was looking for rubber glues of which there are many i suspect are suitable for rubber mounts when i came across the part you might be looking for here is the link they are in new zealand but must be avail in uk
these were for morries but suspect were used on other makes as well around that time..

http://www.basisnz.co.nz/category.pasp?emGUID=325747457086476A81426C4E5E46B33E&categoryid=69&displayfirst=11&displaylast=20&numbertoreturn=&searchstring=&searchpku=

Any way will continue to look for a suitable glue for rubber mounts brent nz
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: mount glues Reply with quote

Okay i contacted the big guns in glue manufacture bostik and they do make a purpose designed glue to stick rubber to steel 3 part process a primer on the steel to assist adhesion a solvent and a glue to stick the rubber all very expensive so what do you do.The guys who use these glues are people in the conveyor belt business rubber belts on steel drums need very strong glues i rang a couple of local firms as we are in the agricultural business and it is cheaper and more practical to send the mounts/rubber parts to have them glue them together no problem to buy vulcanised rubber at a low cost cut out the shape you want and send parts away to be glued.I came across this site as well on cutting your own rubber for those interested http://www.vccansw.org/ from a vintage car site rustyreks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: