classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New windscreen fitted in my Volvo 120 estate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
oldtimer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: New windscreen fitted in my Volvo 120 estate Reply with quote

Following my declaration of intent recently,which elicited an aide memoire from Greeney in France and relevant warnings on safety issues from Brian M,both served to jolt my own recall since it is a long time since I last did this job.
I first removed the outer metal trim insert from the seal using 2 slim blade spatulas.Only when I try replacing them will I know if I was careful enough! Next the internal metal surround sections and rear view mirror.I took the "minimalist approach",which was not my original intention,did not tamper with the dash,the steering wheel or even the wiper arms although the blades were removed.Sitting in the front passenger seat I then gently used a spatula (I think this tool was for defrosting a fridge and had a smaller hooked end which I used to prise back the seal a little at a time,
beginning top left.When I felt the grip was weakened,I placed both feet
against the screen and pushed fairly gently to assess if there was movement and there was. Continuing thus,with a blanket protecting the bonnet,and my size 11s on the inside of the glass the seal rolled back and
the top released first,allowing me to lift the old screen,complete with its seal,away from the aperture.
I didn't remember using sealant all those years ago and it was clear I hadn't.There wasno trace of it on the flange,which was pristine,no rust,corrosion or distortion!Just a wipe with a clean rag and we were ready
to feed the cord into the slot which would,ultimately,secure the seal on the flange surrounding the screen aperture.The continuous loop of cord was taken right round the screen seal,crossed over itself in the groove, and left with approx 10/12"projecting,to be hanging inside the car once the
screen was placed in position.
My long time crony took the outside position and I sat inside and started to pull steadily,but quite gently on the cord and watched in wonder, as,
coupled with careful pressure from my chum outside,the lip of the seal
yielded to the cord and curled over the flange.all the way round the aperture! Relief and amazement that things had gone so smoothly.
There was only one factor which caused me great annoyance and it was something we had no control over.There was a label stuck right in the middle of the screen, postcard size, proclaiming it was a Volvo screen and apparently fixed with an adhesive for fixing wings to Jumbo jets!
I wasted hours tracking down an antidote for this stuff and was incensed by the thoughtless behaviour of these idiots.Had the screen been damaged
as a result would they have replaced it? I very much doubt it.
But a very successful operation only marred by this incident.

oldtimer

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it all went to plan. Its a while since I helped someone out with his screen, so thanks for the reminder on how to go about it!!

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds far easier than I'd have imagined. Well Done!

Peter
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodo, pleased it all worked out
I have done so many in the same way, only once with the aide of my youngest son have I had an incident on a Renault 4 side screen, he didn't push evenly as I was inside pulling the cord and the glass dropped out and on to the floor, luckily it landed on my knee pad and didn't break Rolling Eyes
I dont know if I said before but NEVER use fairy liquid to lubricate rubber, it contains high amounts or sodium and can aide the rusting process from under the screen rubber

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: