classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Trailer Wiring?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Trailer Wiring? Reply with quote

Hi

Now although this is not directly related to classics, it will be used to carry a classic.

I have a trailer board, and want some side marker lights to run through the plug too, as I am not really an electrics person, how do I phisically wire extra wires in? Does the plug come apart and I just run extra wires into the side light connections?

What is the correct way of doing it?

I will try to get a picture of what I have made tomorow, not finished yet, still being developed to suit the purpose!

Cheers

Dave
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, The plug should open to give access to the wires. You will have to work out which wire(s) feed the side lights, modern systems have 2 feed wires for this. Then it is a case of wiring in the extra lights to the plug.

Personally I wouldn't do it as you will have a problem getting the extra wires into the plug, you will also have a spaghetti of wire which will be a nightmare to untangle.

Here is a link to plug wiring colours You need to be looking at the 12N TYPE 7-PIN Black socket or plug
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I would have thought it a lot easier to wire them in parrallel from the appropriate rear light (L and R have separate feeds.
The next board I make is going to overlap the sides of the trailer box and have Front markers as well.
I have noticed that, at night, when O'taking lorries on the M/way they don't realise you have a trailer on and some times try to push you out in to the outside lane.
Of course, I have to admit that this is also my fault for not assessing the situation early enough to recognise that the lorry is catching the one in front and anticipating that it would want to move out to the second lane.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

The other thing I would recommend is fitting a trailer bypass relay to the towing vehicle. These things have come on the market more recently because many modern cars have things like bulb failure warning systems so you can’t use the traditional method of tapping in to the cars rear wiring loom as it can confuse the bulb failure system!.

The same relays also have great advantages on older cars because you are not drawing any more current from the cars original wiring loom (we have all seen trailers with dim lights or tail lamps that dim in sequence with a flashing indicator!!).

These bypass relays are very simple; you just run a nice clean feed from the battery to the unit, then tap into the cars rear lamp loom as usual, the unit only takes a very small signal current from the cars wiring and feed the trailer socket with a nice clean full battery voltage, so all your trailer lamps are nice and bright.

When I put the tow bar on the modern I bought a manufactures unit for £120 to do this! As I think I mentioned the other day I though it had developed a fault, which it had, I replaced it with this non car specific unit that cost £20 including delivery! It also has a built in buzzer for the flashers , I am plannning to fit a tow bar to the Stag and will use one of these again.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: