classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cost of building a decent garage block?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of my outbuildings. now thats 60yrs of camouflage

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
wrinx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Bearing in mind that I do not live in the UK, nor am I familiar with UK building requirements, but does nobody in Britain build steel garages? They are the cheapest garages in Australia and I have not heard of anybody having problems with them.

I have a 9m x 6m x 2.4m high (30' X 20' X 8' high) steel garage with twin roller doors finished in cream coloured colorbond profiled sheeting. (There are dozens of colours available) The roofs are gabled with a shallow angle. These are by far the cheapest garages to erect in Australia and last for many, many years. The concrete slab and electrical wiring costs would be the same as for any other type of garage. My garage is an economy one, without major roof joists. It is perfectly adequate for car storage, but not for hauling engines out.

I also have a steel workshop 9m x 6m x 3m high (30' X 20' X 9' high) that is similar to look at but has a heavy duty, engineered open web joist type roof truss that enables me to hang a winch below and to lift V8 and vintage cast iron engines complete with gearbox with no visible deflection. There are two large sliding doors. The cost of the heavy duty workshop would be about 60% greater than for the lightweight garage.

Keith D

No idea why domestic dwellings don't use them more....perhaps they're just considered to be more for industrial purposes? Or, perhaps steel+UK climate worries people Laughing

This is not bad

wrinx

clascar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we will be moving to pastures new sometime this year. I will leave behind my concrete sectional double garage and integral single garage. The new place only has a single garage and I will be looking to add a decent size double garage. in the large rear garden.

A concrete sectional one was my first choice, based on price, speed of build and past experience. Whilst I was surfing I found a company that will do a steel building for a comparable price, but bigger in size and most importantly extra height for my longed for lift. My only concern is will it be suitable for a decent size urban garden. I don't want to upset the neighbours or attract the jobs worths at the local council. Any body got any thoughts please.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with local council - most garages will not require planning permission if kept below certain height and distance from boundaries but they will more than likely need building reg approval. The manufacturer will supply the plans/spec
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my council couldn't be more difficult! My house was already extended before I bought it and there is a limit of 30 sq mtrs footprint permitted development. Anything over that needs planning permission. Then because I live in a zone 3 flood area I must have 30cm high x 1 mtr long gaps in three of the walls and a 10 cm gap under the door - Garage? That's a bloody car port, I'll have all the cats, frogs and squirrels living in there, not to mention how the hell is one meant to keep it dehumidified and heated above freezing? I showed the planner what I meant by a garage and he laughed!!! Rolling Eyes
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you get away with a temporary building, like a wooden or sectional garage?
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
Unfortunately my council couldn't be more difficult! My house was already extended before I bought it and there is a limit of 30 sq mtrs footprint permitted development. Anything over that needs planning permission. Then because I live in a zone 3 flood area I must have 30cm high x 1 mtr long gaps in three of the walls and a 10 cm gap under the door - Garage? That's a bloody car port, I'll have all the cats, frogs and squirrels living in there, not to mention how the hell is one meant to keep it dehumidified and heated above freezing? I showed the planner what I meant by a garage and he laughed!!! Rolling Eyes

We recently looked at downsizing and found a smaller house in a green belt area that had already had the maximum permitted development, but stood in over three acres. I spoke to my local council regarding the additional garaging I wanted and with a knowing wink he suggested I called it a stable as I could have a 20m x 15m steel shed, which was appropriate to the area available for grazing the number of horses that would be comfortable in that area of enclosed space. What I actually kept in it was up to me! Unfortunately we were beaten to the purchase by a cash buyer.

I don't know the flood regulations but you couldn't possibly keep horses in a draughty stable - could you?

Just a thought.
magic9r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a bolt together steel building on a concrete hard standing with only rawl bolts holding it down it's a temporary structure Very Happy
My 3m X 5m "shed" is purely temporary storage, honest guv Rolling Eyes
Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: