classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sidelamp / Indicator Bulbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
arossco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Sidelamp / Indicator Bulbs Reply with quote

My 1956 Cresta has double filament sidelamp and indicator bulbs in a white lens. (6w / 21w)

I want to have amber indicators instead of the original white. The ideal solution would be a bulb ( or two bulbs on the same fitting ) which would display white for sidelight and amber for direction indicator. This would mean I could retain the original appearance by using the existing white lens.

Does such a bulb exist ?

My less preferred alternative would be to fit a headlamp unit with a smaller sidelamp incorporated and use the sidelamps for indicator only ( with an amber lens ).
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you would need to modify an existing bulb.
This appears to be offering stop and tail on two connections but with white LEDs so you could paint the stop group with amber bulb paint whilst leaving the tail group white. http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/Items/002510-057?caSKU=002510-057&caTitle=2%20White%201157%20LED%20Car%20Bulbs%20with%2019%20LED%27s%20Each

Peter
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware battery polarity issues! Most modern electronic gizmos are made in negative-earth only and this does not suit many British cars made in the "classic" years. If your Cresta happens to be negative-earth then you won't have to worry about that.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better and safer way round is to fit Orange BA15s 21 W indicator bulbs to the side lamps or if they have the smaller 9mm or 6mm cap halogen orange ones and fit sidelamps into the headlights - these are far easier to see anyway an dless confusing to modern car drivers.

Also visit Holdens website
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
arossco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - I'll look into both these options. My car is positive earth, so I'll check to see if this is a problem with LEDs !
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most LEDs are negative earth only - see Ultraleds. The Festoon bulbs are not and these are really good in interior lights

I do not think Leds are very good on classics paticularly in daylight - even the so called multidirectional types do not show up very well. Modern cars using Leds have specially designed lights to show them up to their true potential.

Older classics witjh dymmos and dodgy insulation will cause voltage spikes that are fatal to Leds
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: