classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Viking Fibreline 6 berth
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Andylad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Viking Fibreline 6 berth Reply with quote

Hello there, here is a few photo's of a Viking i plan on restoring. This is my first caravan all advice (taken with a pinch of salt) would be very much appreciated especially links to suppiers, ta very much, Andy.

we love egg sarnies!

Last edited by Andylad on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Metalkoi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely van,we have a 2 berth Viking which we love and realy enjoy using,looking forward to following you restoration.

Andy
gordon28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Spares Viking Reply with quote

Just noticed that the rear lights are the same as the ones on my old portafold folding caravan , these are still available ok . check out the portafold website www.portafold.co.uk , it has a list of spares for their vans including window catches , handles etc. it may give you other links to suppliers . cheers gordon Smile

but easiest way is to post a picture of something that you want , then you have hundreds of people on the forum , looking for you. it's amazing what spares some people have tucked away , up and down the country.
vatco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those trailer lights are indeed still available and from many trailer parts suppliers as they are a standard light fitted to many trailers

I have seen prices for these ranging from around £8 per unit to over £20 per unit. so check around to get the best price.

Spare lenses are also available if the back plates are still good.

Many newer versions of this light have a clear portion of the lens for a numberplate light. This can either be blocked with lens tape from the inside or, if you shop around you may be able to find the right one. Another poss. is to remove the red blank from the old lense if it is still intact and use that in pace of the clear section
Andylad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link and comments, i've all the interior stripped out, all the windows out and 3/4 of the aluminium off. It was well built to say the least.
I'm going start to rebuild the skeleton and insulate with kingspan this week and start the prep on the sheets, roof, base.
Whats the general method for repainting/spraying alluminium and fibreglass?
I'll post more photos in the week
thanks
Andy
moggy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: viking fibreline Reply with quote

Andyladd maybe you should check this out and see pictures for rebuild reference:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/classic-carvan_W0QQitemZ180337147082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes?hash=item180337147082&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

regards Moggy.
vatco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the process is much the same as repainting a car if you are going to spray it.

Aluminum should be etch primed before spraying but at the very least you need to rub down well to get rid of any surface blemishes and loose paint. Remember that any imperfections in the surface will be magnified by new paint. General rule of thumb is if you can feel a ridge or imperfection with your fingertips with your eyes closed it will show in the new paint.

Fiberglass should have any gel coat damage repaired first before spraying

It is up to you how far you go but the better the prep the better the paint after.

Are you going to paint it yourself?
Andylad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on doing it myself but it will be a first. Might just go with something like the one on ebay, love the colours moggy lad, can you get a good finish painting by hand? anyway it's bank holiday over here today enjoy the craic what ever ya at Mr. Green
Andylad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Questions?????????? Reply with quote

A few photo's and questions coming up if can. The caravan is my unemployment hobby Confused and it will be rebuilt to be used as it was intended, camping Very Happy

this is my van vw 82 2l aircooled

good side

bad side

what would of been wired into here?

should i remove the gold laquar?

Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

Is that a water outlet pipe under the mystery wiring? If so it is probably missing an electric water pump to supply the taps.
Andylad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats the waste outlet and on the back of the cupboard is a water inlet fixing, was this for filling a water tank? Can i put a hot water system in? if so how and what will i need to feed a shower, something secondhand gas or electric what do you think anybody?
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

The pump is not for filling the water tank, it is to "push" the water out of the taps.
In my 1978 Safari I have a removable tank in the form of a plastic gerry can, into which I drop a Whale electric pump, which is controlled by pressure switches on the hot and cold feeds to the taps. When you open a tap the pump activates.
I have a gas water heater that kicks in when it detects water running through it. Trouble is you use a fair bit of water before hot comes out of the taps, so for a quick hand wash, I use the kettle to heat the water.
To do the washing up or for my morning ablutions, I switch the water heater on and get a sink full of hot water in about two or three minutes.
I have seen Safaris with fixed tanks under the floor, but have been told that they can be difficult to clean out and over the winter months the water can get a bit rank. I remove my water container and can hose it out thoroughly.
I don't have a shower in mine, but I am sure that my little pump would not have enough pressure to provide more than a trickle from a shower head 5-6ft above the tank level.
vatco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those drop in style pumps are great if you just need a basic system that works they are sometimes controlled by simple electric taps that have a contact in them to switch the pump on and off on demand. But, as Brian says, they don't provide much pressure for a shower.

Likewise with instant 'on demand' hot water systems. These will provide plenty of hot water but often take quite a time to heat up the water. This can also use a fair amount of water to heat up as they rely on flow through to heat up the water.

Fixed tanks can be a pain but a well designed system that is winterised properly can be heaven if you require all the comforts home! The Yanks use what they call "Pink Water" which is a food quality system of anti freeze to winterise their water systems. This works well and stops stagnant water as well as damage through frost

A full plumbed system with a pressure pump and tanked hot water is the ultimate. Apart from the noise of the pump running which is not to intrusive and only cuts in when you open a tap anyway, this will give you most of the benefits of a full domestic hot and cold water system.

We will be happy to provide all the diagrams for any system you require giving you all the basic plumbing and electric diagrams for either hand pumps, on demand electric pumps or full pressure systems with either portable of fitted tanks from the simple to the cor-blimey! just shout and I will put some drawings together and post them here for you.

As for your previous question on hand painting; of course you can get a decent finish with hand painting. They used to hand paint Rolls Royce's didn't they? Just takes time and care. But with enough care you can achieve a finish that is hard to tell from spray if that is what you want.
want-one

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.... how do you plan rebuilding the frame work, i'd be lost as to exactly what went where. keep the pic's coming Smile
European Voyager

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please keep the progress comming , ive got a fibreline and its got a few water leaks , just saw how it all comes apart !studied the pictures for ages !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: