classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anglia trafficators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
7cylinderHEMI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Anglia trafficators Reply with quote

going to do the 12volt conversion on our anglia ,just wondering about the trafficators ,can i reduce the voltage so they wont fling up to hard,they are trico brand, thanks from Rod,
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with dropping 12v to 6v at around 1 amp is the power (watts) has to be disapated as heat. I could find my old books so I could work out the skin temperature but I am not going to, suffice to say that if it was left on there would be a problem. I think a much better idea would be to try to find a compatible 12v coil or have yours rewound and don't forget the lamp. Good luck.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Nic, I don't think that you have much choice but to replace them with 12v ones. Dropping DC voltage is not straight forward. If your 6v ones are in good order you will probably find a ready market for them
PAUL
7cylinderHEMI

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that ,they are the Trico type so will start looking ,have ordered some 12v bulbs ,
1stpop

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with my Morris 8 Series E 12v conversion - am also gonna have to find 'new' ones I think - either that or just ignore them
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: 6v Reply with quote

There is another possibility. This is just a thought but it should work. - A twin voltage system. If 2 x 6v batteries in series are used with a 12v alternator and "tapping" between the batteries will give a 6v line. Just use the 6v system for the components that are difficult to replace and 12v for the lights etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: