classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Starting Problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
MinorBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Starting Problems Reply with quote

Morris Cowley 1932 1500cc Been running fine untill stalled and wont start again. Seems no spark? Good petrol at carb. Engine turns but just wont kick-in etc.
The 15a fuse by the cut-out did blow and i have changed it etc. Ive tested the coil wit a mulitmeter and its passing a current so i guess that is still fine? Anyone any ideas Thanks MinorBoy Rolling Eyes
victor 101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MinorBoy, first you need to assertain wether there is a spark at the points, (turn the ign on and flick the points with a screwdriver), if you have power to the points check the gap. With the ign off turn the engine until the heel of the points is on one of the high parts of the distributor centre shaft. Gap should be 015" thou. To test the rotor arm, take the HT lead from the coil out of the distributor cap hold it about an 1/8" away from the rotor arm and get someone to turn the engine over, if a spark jumps from the lead to the rotor, your rotor needs changing. also while you have the dist cap of, check the sprung loaded carbon brush in the cap, make sure its moving free on the spring. Let us know if all that checks out okay and we'll try again. Rod.
MinorBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Rod Wink , It was the contact points playing up and they are well worn, so i will replace them. Do you know where i might find a set to buy, and i think it would be good to replace the condencer at the same time. I'm not a memeber of the morris club but do you know any one who might have some points that would fit ? Many Many Thanks MinorBoy
victor 101

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MinorBoy, Glad you seem to have traced your fault, I not sure where you would get a set, but i'm sure someone on the forum will point you in the right direction, if not, post a pic of the offending article and I will check what I have in the garage. (my catalogues dont go back that far). Rod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: