classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

In to the future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
640TMP wrote:
The latest victim is a 1955 Riley RM that has been scrapped for a new BMW according to Autoshite Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

This makes me so angry!!!!

We're on the case. The dealership has been contacted, the car seen and efforts are being made to save it. As BMW owns the Riley name, it is hoped it will be spared the crusher.

That's great to hear! I really hope it does get saved! It seems far, far too good to scrap. It also has 10 months MOT.

riley541 wrote:
[I believe the reg has been transferred to the owner's new car.

According to the ASKMID insurance database, the Riley's registration number is now on a Mondeo Rolling Eyes But if the old girl is saved from the crusher, it will be very welcoming news. Keep us posted riley541!
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the Certificate of Destruction has been issued, so the car must be destroyed. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

This is so stupid it is beyond words. Surely the dealer could have taken the car as a part exchange instead and made more money out of it?

I suppose the only "good" thing to come out of this is that it will now provide parts to keep others on the road. Sad
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Rick wrote:
so it looks like someone's bought it for the number, robbed that off it, and is chopping it in against a modern shopping trolley. I bet the people who looked after it so that it still survives to this day would weep

R

If they did then something has gone wrong with the system, as you are supposed to have owned the car for 12months before chopping it in, that was dfone to prevent people buying up cheap scrappers and then getting the £2k.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Rick wrote:
so it looks like someone's bought it for the number, robbed that off it, and is chopping it in against a modern shopping trolley. I bet the people who looked after it so that it still survives to this day would weep

R

If they did then something has gone wrong with the system, as you are supposed to have owned the car for 12months before chopping it in, that was dfone to prevent people buying up cheap scrappers and then getting the £2k.

The person who owned it for the last 30 years chopped it in.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a waste Sad

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
poodge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note,here in New Zealand,a cars registration is for a large part burdened by a levy from the "Accident Compensation Commission".This was set up about 30 years ago,for an as yet unclear reason,to fund injury and rehabilitation costs.Around 60% of the rego fee consists of this levy.Yet it covers ALL injuries,such as household,work or sport related .In short,the poor old motorist is paying for things which have nothing to do with his motoring.
But to cap it all,a couple of days ago,the erudite member of parliament responsible for this department suggested there should be an extra levy on "older"vehicles,because they had no safety features,such as airbags,anti-lock brakes,etc.
This dimwit apparently equates the age of a car to it's potential to harm it's occupants.Never mind that classic cars would be the most carefully driven cars in the country,they would fall in his class of "old".The exact level of "oldness"has apparently not yet been determined.
You have to wonder which planet these politicians live on.
I would be more impressed if he suggested a rego cost related to weight,as is the case in many European countries.Then people driving those 4-wheel drive monstrosities would pay their fair share for the damage to roads etc.And since older cars size for size are much lighter than their modern counterparts,classic owners would actually have less to pay,as it should be.
Some hope Evil or Very Mad
If this ever becomes law,I will become a vicious law breaker,driving my 18 year old car through town as often as I could.If only to thumb my nose at these bureaucratic idiots.
P3steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: shame Reply with quote

SHAME - Shame on the goverment for not including a clause for cars that are over 25 years of age (ok not the ideal awnser but its better than nothing - or even bring in a rule that works with there road tax exempt rule) shame on the BMW Garage for not talking some sense into the owner they could have susgested that he trys to contact the club first he may have got more, but the most Shame on the owner who didnt stop to think it through for just 1 second, after owning the car for thirty years didnt he have any feelings for the old girl at all?
P3steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Here's a good idea (very much tounge in cheek) Reply with quote

I know lets knock down windsor castle and give the queen £2000 for it so she can put it towards a new feature less block building to help keep our building trade alive, we could do it with all buildings over say a hundred years old that would kick start the economic recovery, how about Tower bridge next that should do wonders for the steel industry and every steam engine thats preserved could be scrapped and replaced with new electric engines (the crouds would flock to see them im sure) I bet the Battle of Britain flight could use the £2000 each that they make from the Spitfires, hurricains and the lanc could go towards a nice new Tuscano trainer now come on chaps thats got to be more exciting at airshows than to see our glorious past on display. not only would it get rid of all our old boring heratige and you must agree wouldnt our country be a much more interesting place for it so come on guys start writing to the goverment
gillberry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently ordered a new volvo and with the discounts in the current climate no px was needed .
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What the hell was the riley owner thinking?

If they had had it for so long, surely they would know the value of the Riley, both money wise and in other ways!

Shame on them to be honest!

Cheers

Dave
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that with the help of various people within the Riley world and of other agencies including BMW, the Riley RM has been saved from destruction and has found a new owner.

The full details should be reported in various classic car publications and one forum mentions it has aired on Radio 4 - did anyone hear it?

I believe Classic Car Weekly may be running the story amongst others.

Now is the time, I feel, for the classic car world to unite and petition the government to exclude all cars taxed as 'Historic vehicles' from the scrappage scheme. I realise there are many post-72 clssics that are at risk but it's a date that has some meaning to the government in relation to classic vehicles and is a good starting point.

Apparently other classics have also been saved including a mint '67 Singer Vogue so it is possible!
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's really great news!

But I didn't think cars could be saved once they'd been issued with a Certificate of Destruction?

Either way, I'm not complaining, I'm so happy it's been saved, one way or another. Very Happy

Cheers
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, but I too am intriguid as to what identity it now has (if any) ?
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
I am pleased to report that with the help of various people within the Riley world and of other agencies including BMW, the Riley RM has been saved from destruction and has found a new owner.

The full details should be reported in various classic car publications and one forum mentions it has aired on Radio 4 - did anyone hear it?

I believe Classic Car Weekly may be running the story amongst others.

Now is the time, I feel, for the classic car world to unite and petition the government to exclude all cars taxed as 'Historic vehicles' from the scrappage scheme. I realise there are many post-72 clssics that are at risk but it's a date that has some meaning to the government in relation to classic vehicles and is a good starting point.

Apparently other classics have also been saved including a mint '67 Singer Vogue so it is possible!

Well done Riley owners. Very Happy Very Happy
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need some stickers, perhaps one of the Classic mags could order some. I for one, would buy one and display it.
"SCRAP THE SCRAPPAGE"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: