classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

dead short on my volvo 120 today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
oldtimer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: dead short on my volvo 120 today. Reply with quote

went for a spin,everything functioning normally.Stopped on a leafy side road where I often sit,read,enjoy the peace and quiet.Tried to start the car a little later.Starter churned but it wouldnt fire.I noticed the normal ticking sound from the electric fuel pump was absent when first turning the key.Thought the pump was faulty,hence no fuel,hence no start.Fuses all appeared ok.Decided to find if other electrics were ok.Tried the light switch,jumped out to check.Bright sunlight but lights looked dim.Glanced up to see the car filling with smoke!Pulled wires away under the dash and disconnected battery. Pretty shaken up,I admit .There had been no clue of trouble until I activated the light switch,in terms of fire risk.I dispensed wit the Volvo ignition switch years ago(prone to key breakage).A Lucas switch is fitted and the wiring on this was melted in a big way.I am going to change to an alternator,dispense with dynamo and separate control box.
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT

Sorry to hear of your Amazon troubles, is it possible that a wire has become dislodged to cause the non-starting and has then either shorted to earth or touched another live wire perhaps on your home brewed ignition circuit? It can be a bit of a spaghetti jumble up behind the dashboard.

If you are on the Volvo Owners Club forum there will be an expert on there who will know the answer. If you aren't I could post your message on there and put replies on here for you.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: volvo electric short Reply with quote

Hello Brian,
Thank you for commiserations.No longer in the club but still in touch with owners locally for help,sympathy and mutual support.Ido visit the volvo forum,as biggles24,and have seen your posts there.
I have all the info for the conversion to alternator,thank you,and have been meaning to do it for some time.I tend towards the "If it ain't broke
don't fix it"philosophy,so it does seem that the car is giving me a wake up call!
I lived in your neck of the woods a long time ago in Hadleigh and,in summer could never get out onto the main road for the trippers from London!
Thank you,again,for your offer of help.O.K. at present.
Regards,
John (oldtimer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: