classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A35 in Sussex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: A35 in Sussex. Reply with quote

Last week I went on holiday with a few friends to Camber Sands, East Sussex. The others were going on the train, but myself and my friend Marcus thought it would be a good idea to go in the Austin. Well, as it turned out, the old girl didn't want to leave Essex.....
I hadn't driven the car for a while, and I noticed the brakes were pulling badly two days before we were about to leave. I took of a wheel to reveal the brake shoes covered in fluid. I replaced a wheel cylinder and the front brake shoes and took it for a spin. It was still pulling, and after two days freeing off wheel cylinders, swapping shoes, drums, adjusting and bleeding brakes, and fitting new brake springs, I finally had half decent brakes!

The first time I had trouble was near Brian M's place (on the other side of Southend) I filled up with petrol then a bit later I stopped the car, then drove off and it just died. There was a good spark at number 1 plug so I removed the petrol pipe and spun the engine over - fuel came spurting through. I then connected it back up and it started! Hooray!
We then got as far as Brentwood before it started trying to cut out. I pulled up in a layby then realised I hadn't nipped up the wheel nuts after working on the brakes the previous day. So of course I managed to shear off a wheel stud. I didn't want to drive round the M25 with a poor running engine and three wheel studs, so I called my breakdown assistance:

It took us six hours from breaking down to reaching Camber. When we got there I gave it a test drive and it seemed fine.
I first went to East Sussex Minors at Stonegate (about 30 miles away) to have the wheel stud replaced but didn't mention the running fault as it seemed to be running fine Embarassed

I cannot recommend this company highly enough. The quality and service is excellent.

At Hastings:

Some more pictures:

On the way back the car was running perfectly until we got to Sevenoaks, when we realised we didn't have any change for the Dartford toll so headed into the town centre to get some. Up a really steep hill....

I waited for the rain to stop and took the float bowl off to reveal quite a lot of what looked like rusty sand in the bottom. I cleaned this out using spray cleaner, and blasted this through the jets to make sure they were clear. While I was working on it a friendly Austin Seven driver hooted at me Smile
I then struggled up the hill in 2nd gear at 15mph to reach Sevenoaks, although once there it did seem to have more power. So we headed for the Dartford tunnel and got though it without mshap. The problem happened when I turned off the motorway for Southend, and it just died in the middle of the carriageway. So we got out, pushed the car up onto the pavement (thank goodness it's such a small car!), and I stripped down the carb again. More rusty dirt. This time one of the jets was so blocked I had to remove it and blast it through. That got us home Very Happy

The car has an inline fuel filter in the fuel line, which was fitted before I got it, which I think must have failed and is letting dirt through from the tank. Sad
Well, it was an, er, eventful week Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars have feelings you know. You must take that sticker off the back or you'll have endless trouble.

Peter Wink

Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Cars have feelings you know. You must take that sticker off the back or you'll have endless trouble.

Peter Wink

Haha! After the trouble I had on the way there, when I saw it for sale I thought it was particularly apt! Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer dooomed maan, dooomed a say! You mark my words.

Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peter,

Which one is you? Either way, you must be older than I thought.......

Keith
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm either this one..

or this one...

depending on where you look on the web. I guess I could play either part in Dad's Army without anyone noticing.

Peter Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: