classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

You know when you go to view a car? (2CV + Velocette)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
john-saab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: You know when you go to view a car? (2CV + Velocette) Reply with quote

I will add more later but i was told about a free 2CV..not my cuppa but the words "FREE" always gets my attension.
I chatted for a long time..a very long time...on the phone with a very flamboyant charicter from Hove about his car..several atempts to view the car didn't work as i had transport issues (sold the Hunter) and the 2CV owner is a VERY VERY busy 80+ year old.
Today i went to look at the 2CV..when i arrived i was met buy a great guy..we chatted over coffee and then went to look at the car.
The garage door opened and i couldn't look at the car..i had to remove the cover and the rubbish covering the motorbike next to it.
Less than 30 min's later i had bought both with the my word that he could have a ride in/on both asap..
I collect them mid week just before I go away on holiday for the first time in 10 years...now i want to cancel it all and stay at home to play...the 2CV is ready to sell on but i cant wait to get the bike running...

Last edited by john-saab on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 2CV looks lovely, if I had to have a "modern" car it would probably be one of these! Great finds Very Happy
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done John.

The LE Velocette was the first motorised transport I ever owned, given to me
by a generous motor enthusiast when I was 15. http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/minor803.htm
Quite an interesting bike. Shaft drive, water cooled, hand gear lever. All very car like.

Peter
john-saab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2CV has been off the road since 1998 so it was only on the road for about 10 years...it's in great condition and shouldn't take much to get back on the road. It may need new heat exchangers as they are in very poor condition.
The Velocette hasn't been on the road for over 20 years and i think the pistons are siezed...you can't kick the engine over. It has the front screen and a small pile of spares.
The owner also has a garage out of town that has a lot of old car spares including parts for an Austin A40 countryman..i get them for free with the deal! Very Happy
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you possibly let me know what A40 parts you have when you pick them up?

I love that 2cv, I just wish I could afford it Crying or Very sad
john-saab

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

640TMP wrote:
Could you possibly let me know what A40 parts you have when you pick them up?

I'm afraid to say that i may be too late..I collected the car and bike last night and was told that the Austin parts were given away already..from the sound of it they went to a scrap man Crying or Very sad .
Bike and car on the way home..

The paperwork for both is still to be found..as are the keys for the 2CV but a bit of research and we may have an ex Police bike..the registration was issued in London in 1961 and there are hints of dark blue paint under the light grey. The owner also told us that the bike was fully restored before it was laid up in 1980..we had a quick look last night and there are a lot of new parts..it's been sitting in a brick garage up against the wall...the dampness from the wall has affected one side of the bike..the left hand side has corrosion all over it but nothing too bad.
I can't kick start the bike...i think it is siezed..I will take the plugs out today and i fill the bores with diesel.
john-saab

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another go at the kick start today and it was stuck in the up position..i checked the gears and all are there..while i was checking them the kick start popped down and is now working as it should.
I cant believe how clean the engine and gear box are..the carb looks new as does the exhaust. I'm hoping to have a go at starting it at the weekend..i have a spark but the fuel tank needs cleaning.
john-saab

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting day..stripped the 2CV to make it ready for welding..

Helped a passing motorist who broke down outside my house..nice Austin 7..tea and drying spark plugs Wink
....then collected a car that was going to be scrapped..i had 2 hrs to get it before the scrap man..it took me 20 minutes to get there and move it to a safe spot..then with the help from a friend..dragged it home.
It needs minor welding and a new engine..the timing gear has stripped but i have spares.

john-saab

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very sucessful day.managed to get the Velocette started..it needed the fuel tank flushing..the tap on the tank was gummed up so it was removed and after failing to clean it with chemicals i just set the blow tourch on to it..it's all brass and i did it out side..all of the gum turned to powder and it worked like new afterwards.
There was no spark at the plugs..i removed the distributor housing cover and cleaned the points..got a perfect spark and then put fresh fuel in the tank..it started with it's new battery with almost no problems...it settled down to a steady tick over..then it was time for a test run..super smooth with just a few rattles.
I'm going to clean up the electrics and with a bit of luck get it in for an MOT next week.
With a glow of satisfaction i thought i would have a go at starting the 2CV6..again i cleaned the plugs, cleaned the tank and added new fuel..it took a few turns but it fired into life and sounds very smooth..now i know the engine is good i will take it out and clean it up along with the engine bay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: